Caribou Gear Tarp

Need the best warmest/quietest jacket and boots

ttinman23

My dad has a hard time dealing with the elements when the weather gets cold. Anyone with experience on what the best jacket and boots would be for him? Seems like cabela's is the only store I see with warm gear. thx

Not a very good source on boots because I'm still looking for the pair of boots that I can move in without getting sweaty feet and yet stay warm while sitting on a ridge glassing.

As for the coat, I've been very pleased with my First Lite Sanctuary jacket. I don't have the bibs since I rarely call coyotes anymore but I have yet to feel chilled in the Sanctuary.

I like the first lite stuff real well, but one jacket I have is the cabelas wooltimate fleece with windstopper lining it is the warmest jacket I've ever had. They also make pants. Boots I don't know about I'm with Schaaf on this one. I do love the first lite base layers also.

Not sure what kind of weather you'll be in, but for temps below freezing, and snow, wool bibs are a good option. You can get by with a lot lighter jacket with them. These are a good ones, and quite a bit cheaper than other brands like Filson, Woolrich, etc. Codet makes good woolies too, but they are super hard to find.

http://www.bobwards.com/COLUMBIA-Me...313735333739&gclid=CN-Qku3Th8kCFYVhfgod5ugCww

This is what I wear on my feet when there is snow on the ground. Some people don't like pack boots, but I can hike all day in them. They are especially good for wet, sloppy snow. The airbob soles give excellent traction too.

http://www.bobwards.com/SOREL-Mens-...u=3939353235&gclid=CJjGi-nSh8kCFROSfgodGF8AqQ

My preference for super cold weather is layers. Where are you hunting and what type of hunting will you be doing? Do you intend on hiking a lot or sitting/standing? Is there a lot of wind, snow, dry but cold, etc? If it's super cold and windy with snow in December I may wear patagonia base layers, thicker Cabelas mesh shirt, windstopper vest, Sitka 90 jacket. If wet and/ or windy I'll add a Sitka nimbus rainjacket. I can obviously add or subtract layers depending on how active I am and the temps. I've never had to wear it because I have never been in cold enough conditions but another great jacket or vest layer would be down (if you aren't in too wet of conditions).

The same is true with boots. I wear different boots if I'm hiking a lot vs sitting in a blind. As an example I wear Lowa Tibets with thicker socks when hiking in December snow in Colorado. If I'm sitting in a blind in snow in December I would likely grab my sorels.

Other extras that can make life easier is a neck gator and windstopper mits or gloves. A hood and pitzips on my jacket are must haves!

Gotta be layers. I start with Minus 33 merino wool base layer. Add your favorite hunting clothing as the next layer. Cabela's Windstopper jacket and rain bibs for the top layer. Fleece beanie, Polartec gloves in Windstopper mittens round out my layering system. My feet never get cold so I just wear Meindl Perfekt Hunters and thick wools socks regardless of temperature. I've not hunted in really cold temps, just down to single digits with windchill in the -20's. This system has always worked for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back