Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Need snow report for Little Belts in Montana

farbedo

I am heading home for Thanksgiving and will have a few days to hunt. From Indiana, I can't see if there is snow.

Is there any snow in the Little Belts on the White Sulphur Springs side? Showdown's site says there is nothing. Were there any early storms to push the animals onto private?

I have lurked on this site for years and really like the group of people on it. Time to start getting active. A little about me: grew up in MT, got an engineering degree, moved to Indiana to find work, get back home as much as I can. Whitetails don't quite have the same appeal to me as elk and mule deer.

Thanks for your help,

Jeremy

Google the showdown webcam too.... its a good way to see current conditions...cameras down at lodge and up on top...

Its pretty bleak for snow conditions up there right now. Last week, after the "big storm" hit there was maybe 3-5 inches up high on spur park... and below that a dusting on top of solid ice! The critters dont need snow to push them down onto the castle anymore...they just go there cause they know its hunting season up high... ;0(

That is what I am afraid of. Used to be they would scoot about mid-way through general season. But, if there wasn't heavy snow, a few would hang around.

I haven't hunted there during rifle season for too long to know if that had changed. All my recent hunts in that country have been in archery season.

At this point, I'll spend a morning there and see if anything is around. If nothing else, maybe I'll scare up a deer. Then on to plan B, or maybe C.

Thanks,

Jeremy

I'll be up there Friday afternoon through the weekend... if things look "ok" I'll come back Wed-Sunday. Got a cow tag to fill and always get achance or two at a muley...

A friend of mine made this website for skiers to research snow amounts and conditions in Montana. It pulls data from quite a few weather sources, and displays the 3 day cumulative NDFD predictions. Works for hunting as well.

http://mtpowfinder.com/

Last edited:
I am heading home for Thanksgiving and will have a few days to hunt. From Indiana, I can't see if there is snow.

Is there any snow in the Little Belts on the White Sulphur Springs side? Showdown's site says there is nothing. Were there any early storms to push the animals onto private?

I have lurked on this site for years and really like the group of people on it. Time to start getting active. A little about me: grew up in MT, got an engineering degree, moved to Indiana to find work, get back home as much as I can. Whitetails don't quite have the same appeal to me as elk and mule deer.

Thanks for your help,

Jeremy

What field of engineering do you work in? Sorry. I cant say what its like for snow. Have not heard much or been in the area since opening weekend.

I am a metallurgical engineer and went to MT Tech.

Good luck to you Horn Seeker. I'll be there too. Can't shoot anything from my parents couch.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Jeremy

I am a metallurgical engineer and went to MT Tech.

Gotcha. Was gonna say if you were Mechanical or Electrical I might know of an opportunity if you wanted to move back to MT. Good luck if you go to the Little Belts. I have been debating on going up if even for just a day trip.

Thanks for the consideration on the job. Moving back would be great, but would also lead to divorce which would not be so great.

I pack in as much hunting as possible into my vacations and my wife has no issue with me wandering the mountains for a few weeks a year. Or she gave up trying to change me.

Good luck if you get out.

Jeremy

Back