Caribou Gear

Need info hunting Elk in Southeast Idaho

mntntyme65

I've never been to Idaho hunting but am planning a trip this fall w/ friends and was wondering if anyone has hunted Tex Creek 66,69 or Palisades units 64,65,67 for Elk? I'm not hearing good things between weather this past winter and predators. Any help would be appreciated!! Hunted elk for 25+ years, just never in Idaho. Thx

I hunted in 65 3 years ago and my best friend hunted it again this past year. Not the best luck either time. The time I went we spotted 2 bulls that were absolute monsters but it was a 3.7 mile one way to get to their location through the nastiest stuff you've ever seen, we did it, 3 times trying to get to them and looking back it was a stupid mistake to do so. There was grizzly sign everywhere and we saw two in that general area where the bulls were held up in. Also had a pack of wolves move in on us one morning there that a crazy experience, we're all competitive predator hunters and went after them but it's so thick in that unit we just couldn't get any shots even though they were within 50 yards. We spent 11 days in the unit when I went, saw 5 elk total, 3 bulls and 2 cows. Granted the smallest of the 3 bulls was a 6x6 in the mid 3teens. The two others were pushing 360 easy, one monster 6x7 and the other a 7x7. I have never seen so many moose in life either there. We probably averaged 25 moose a day with about 3 close encounters a day (inside 100 yards). Did spot a lion sunning itself on a rock about 1200 yards away (had a tag) but decided to try and wait the elk out. It's extremely tough country, doesn't look that bad but the blown downs and the under growth was the thickest I've ever been in and I've chased bad guys in the jungles of south america! It was extremely hot while we were there in rifle season, saw 82 degrees one day. The elk were above 8500 ft and being on foot we at a serve disadvantage to the outfitters and their giant teams of horses in the area. We did 89.2 miles in 11 days being there and it sure felt like even more than that. Had a great experience but if we did it again we agreed to go to Tex Creek area instead. PM me and I'll give you all the info you want.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back