Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Need help on picking a state

Jamen

I need some help on picking a state to elk hunt. I got drawn for my ND elk tag last fall and now I have elk fever. I had the time of my life last fall and I want to do it again, with my father too if he can come along. I'd like a place where it doesn't take that many years to get drawn because he isn't getting any younger and nor am I. I am not out to shoot a 400 class bull would be nice but not my main priority. I just would like a place to get my father this time behind the trigger more so than me to dump a bull. I know its asking a lot and all of you have way more knowledge on elk hunting than I do. So if anyone knows of an area or state that has good public land and decent elk population id gladly take some advice. That was one of the main things I took from that hunt last year I met a lot of great people along the way who helped me fill my once in a lifetime tag. I am paying it forward and helping a few other people this year with their once in a life time tag.

Thanks for your time
Jamen

Your closest option would be Montana. Still lots of left over tags available. Next would be Colorado or Idaho. Both of those have lots of elk tags.

All three states have a lot of public land. Good part is that if you select one of those states, you can go every year and start to learn an area, such that in a few years, you will know it as good, or better, than some of the locals.

Fin, pretty much summed it up. I think it is easier to get a bigger Bull in AZ. or New Mexico, but drawing Az could take for ever and be more costly. New Mex . could be quicker. You being here in ND. I would do MONTANA every year and You might learn where some good Elk are. If You are Young and in it for the long run for a toad some day and can afford the fees every year I would build points and apply AZ. every year. Good luck it is addicting..............BOB!

The only thing that I would add to the above, is I would consider putting Wyoming on that list too.
Lots of public land, and some people do well with the general tag.

Kevin

I have some room in my elk camp in central Idaho this fall if you are interested. You can view my post on here under elk hunting, Idaho elk hunt. Drop me an email at [email protected] or give me a call at 208-476-5087 pacific time if you'd like to talk about it. Ric

I would go with Montana or Idaho. OTC tags and a lot of country. It is a totally different hunt than you experienced in ND as there will be 100x the hunting pressure and you will not be able to rifle hunt them in open rolling hill-badland country during the rut in September as most OTC hunts will be mountain hunts in early-mid Oct-Nov. Your first goal should be to find ANY elk on huntable land rather than having high expectations of a big bull your first year. Any elk is a trophy. Hunting wilderness is tough but will make you a better hunter each time you go. Watch some of Randy's OTC hunts in CO, WY, and MT and you will get a good idea of what the public land Elk hunting adventures can be like. It's not easy but that's what makes it so rewarding when you are successful. Give it 110% and you will have some great hunts and memories with your dad. Good Luck!

Watch some of Randy's OTC hunts in CO, WY, and MT and you will get a good idea of what the public land Elk hunting adventures can be like. It's not easy but that's what makes it so rewarding when you are successful. Give it 110% and you will have some great hunts and memories with your dad. Good Luck!

If he watches the Colorado episodes he wont want to hunt here, Randy shows a lot more bulls on TV during his easy to draw AZ hunts.

But CO will gladly take your $600 for the tag :D

I appreciate all the help and input as far as going to Idaho this fall I would not be able to with it being my last year of college. You guys have been a big help I have started doing some research to see where to go. I got the addiction for elk hunting now.

Thanks again
Jamen

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back