Need help buying Gaiters!!

Muley Crazy

What kind of Gaiters do you like/own?? and why I had 1 pair that was OK but the snow would build up on the strap under the boot and made for some tuff walking Thanks MC:confused:

I cut those straps off. Prefer Neoprene myself and the hook that attaches to th bottom loop is a must. I like the neoprene because the breathe better imo and make less noise than the other stuff.

I have a pair of the Kenetrek gaiters and love them. Work very well and stay in place.

OR Crocodile gaiters were my first pair of serious gaiters. They are a classic, and I still have mine. They are a tall mountaineering style gaiter made with Gore-tex. I find the fit to be imperfect, though it is better for other folks, and I can sweat up my calves pretty well in the Gore-tex (Gore-tex breathes pretty minimally).

This year, I started using OR Flex-tex for much of my gaiter dutys. They are a shorter gaiter made with a super stretchy softshell type fabric. They cling tightly to your leg, so the shorter height doesn't affect performance much, even in deeper snow. The lower height and much more breathable material also minimizes condensation from sweat. If I could only have one, this would be it.

I'll be replacing my Crocodiles with Rab Manaslu gaiters. They fit me much better, and the eVent they are made from, despite being a waterproof-breathable, breaths well enough to pass sweat as fast as you can generate it. There are places for the full height traditional gaiter, but I still expect to wear my Flex-tex much more.

Carl you are the MAN thanks for a great reply!! OR Flex tex are even half the price!!

Miller I had my heart set on Kenetrek gaiters for some time now but I have heard that they come apart while walking, from what I understand they dont have a zipper ?? Have you ever had this issue, mind you this is only one Buddies opion of them (who currently use's them)

Thanks to all who responded so fast!!

Come on eric, I know you hang around a few houndsmen, have'nt they taught you wool pants and a roll of duct tape! Seriously I have yet to find a good gaiter, my current pair are blacks creek jim shokeys nu guff gaiters, material wise there good, fit is somewhat poor, buckles for the heel straps are cheap chinese chitt that breaks, but there still the best I have used.

Sorry, just got back on. To be truthful I don't remember the brand on mine as they have lost their tags long ago. They are now on their 4th season with me and I bought them at Rocky Mountain Discount Sports in Gillette Wy. They have locations in Billings, Sheridan, Riverton, and Casper. I didn't go with the Gore-tex because I just felt like they were noisier, and the neoprene seemed to do better holding in heat for me and my wimpy feet.

Reviving an old thread.

What is the current thinking on gaiters, Kenetrek, OR, Blacks Creek, other? They are my list to get by fall.

I got a pair of Sitka's for Christmas. Have used them a few times so far, including quite a few miles yesterday picking up pronghorn collars. I like.

SMG-923_Optifade.jpg

I have the OR Crocodile gators. I would not suggest them for hunting, noisy. great for spring and other hiking though. I also wore them out in one year, but they are lifetime warranty so i got a new pair.

I have the Sitka stormfront gaiters... and love them.

I did have a tragic accident involving a barbwire fence a couple months ago that resulted in a slight tear up high, but then again barbwire typically wins the battle with most any fabric.

I would think white might be an issue if the snow wasn't that deep. yes/no?

A guy showed up to go duck hunting with us late one day. He wore white tennis shoes, all you could see walking across the hill, was two white spots moving, white, white, white, etc... He is know to this day as White Shoes Pete?

I have been very happy with my Kenetrek gaiters, 3 years now of hunting and snowshoeing and the velcore front is still holding together as good as new. I don't find them noisy at all, except for taking on and off and they stay in place excellent.

I to have the Kenetrek gaiters and they have been great. I have never had a problem with the velcro fronts and they have held together very well.

CABugle

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back