Nebraska “slam” attempt

@Stocker did you ever score that bull? I’m trying to practice my elk field judging. My usual elk field judging is spike is legal bam lol
Yes and no. So I had officially scored and it ended up a hair over 342”. Then the official scorer told me he messed up since it it was a 7x7 and said it had to be non typical, then he text me no it didn’t and settled on 329 7/8”.

So he’s a 320-340” bull. You’re a bigger man than I if you let one like that walk, not saying mine is big, but he’s the biggest I’ve had in range with a tag and a weapon.

The problem is there is 160 acres, elk don’t wanna come out of 8’ corn, and she only has 1 bird dog, which is me, and me will go in and track a wounded elk, but me won’t go in with 85 degrees, high humidity, and zero chance they decide to bolt into the open.
I'm thinking the elk are moving to and from the fields like deer, no? So it’s plausible they use the same slivers of woods, hedgerows or irrigation ditches on the way or leaving back to bedding. If so then it follows that you could do it Texas style with an elevated box blind in the pinch point of egress. You got your permanent feeder established too! I’m with @neffa3 that if the elk will live as deer then they could be hunted the same.

I'm thinking the elk are moving to and from the fields like deer, no? So it’s plausible they use the same slivers of woods, hedgerows or irrigation ditches on the way or leaving back to bedding. If so then it follows that you could do it Texas style with an elevated box blind in the pinch point of egress. You got your permanent feeder established too! I’m with @neffa3 that if the elk will live as deer then they could be hunted the same.

They live in the corn like they would trees, and they almost always come out at night to eat soybeans, then right back in the corn, the cows are pretty nocturnal, but there’s an off chance they come out of the corn before the end of shooting light. They’ll start getting pushed out by bulls towards the rut though.

They live in the corn like they would trees, and they almost always come out at night to eat soybeans, then right back in the corn, the cows are pretty nocturnal, but there’s an off chance they come out of the corn before the end of shooting light. They’ll start getting pushed out by bulls towards the rut though.
Got it, tree corn. That makes for a ladder stand of dangerous height.

Got it, tree corn. That makes for a ladder stand of dangerous height.
Honestly if a farmer didn’t care, a man lift you could drive into the corn and lift up 100’ would be perfect.

But theres the whole “fair chase” aspect about it 😂

My wife and I have had many conversations about this tag. I don’t apply for a cow tag because I’m not interested in shooting a cow. Not that I have a problem with anyone else doing it, I just personally would not get great enjoyment from doing it.

She told me if there was a cow with a calf by it’s side there’s no way she shoot’s. She was kinda upset telling me this, because she thought I’d be mad if she didn’t. I would t be. It’s her tag, it’s a 4 hour drive, we get to chase elk around for a bunch of weekends. The best that happens, she fills the tag, the worst that happens we spend a couple months together with the kids hunting elk and seeing elk, and the cow that survives her tag raises calves that keep coming my way. There’s no downside.

Now if she had a bull tag…… different story. 😂

Last edited:
Well sure, calf by it’s side you know, pass through and only one tag. Got to wait until they move😂. I know, I know, she doesn’t want to make a Bambi. Four hours, you’re a helluva husband. You know that’s about the entire drive time vertically through Ohio? A Genie as a ladder stand would be a whole new type of hillbilly hunting right there.

Well sure, calf by it’s side you know, pass through and only one tag. Got to wait until they move😂. I know, I know, she doesn’t want to make a Bambi. Four hours, you’re a helluva husband. You know that’s about the entire drive time vertically through Ohio? A Genie as a ladder stand would be a whole new type of hillbilly hunting right there.
Four hours for us plainsman, means we are visiting neighbors. 🤣

In the Oklahoma panhandle you find the mule deer doing the same thing they'll spend almost every second of daylight in the endless acres of corn but come out at night for alfalfa. I've had a bit of luck on particularly cool mornings catching them coming back to bed late with a bit of shooting light.

My favourite day to kill elk is windy days. Still hunt the timber call wait awhile move hundred yards do it again. I just need them to stand up and come a few steps as I’m already well within range
That’s deer for me. I know where they’ll be, I just need to get close enough without being seen then wait them out.

Back