Yeti GOBOX Collection

Nebraska archery deer

bhuntin

Looking at going to Nebraska for archery hunt this year. Anyone from NE or who has done this hunt in past year or two willing to answer a few questions. I'm just seeking general info about deer numbers and hunter numbers on public land at this point. Probably looking at end of Oct. for time frame. Looking to go after mule deer rather than whitetail but I'm not going to pass on a nice whitetail either. I know I'm looking at western part of the state and that the northern part of state has most of the public land. What has your experience been if you have done this trip before? Things you did or did not expect on your trip? Please feel free to PM and thanks for the help.

I lived in nebraska for a lot of years but recently spent the last 5 years in south dakota. If I were you I would get the over the counter archery tag for south dakota. Bigger deer, more deer, and more opportunity. But if you are set on western NE, it still has opportunity and can be fun. I hunted there late season two years ago, and did not expect to run into muzzleloader hunters. That kind of sucked. On that trip I hunted the pine ridge near chadron as well as the samuel l mckelvie national forest. Not much of a forest as it is all sandhills, but the river bottoms throughout it will hold good muleys as well as some truly monster whitetails. Id be headed there if I were you. focus on the timbered drainages, sit on a trail in the bottom and wait, or get up on a hill and spot deer moving through the drainage and move in. Id stand hunt it for more success. Chadron is tough hunting but can be really fun and it sure is pretty out there. If you head that way, be sure to get a turkey tag too. I think its like 90.00. youll have opportunity at fall birds for sure. Fort robinson has good deer and is some of the best public land out that way. Public is spotty so be careful. PM me if you have more specific questions

Back