Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

ND elk information

Jamen

I was informed about this website from a guy I have been in contact with the last two days. I will make my story short, I have a nd elk tag for unit E3/E4 I was out there scouting this summer went out over opener for a little over a week weather was anything but ideal 98 degrees and rain almost every day. seen 26 elk however was awesome got the bulls to bugle back to me so I must have been doing something right couldn't get them to cross over to public land was the hard part. I will be back out there in Nov unless something comes about. I know elk wander off and find themselves in places where they do not belong I am from Jamestown nd go to college at NDSU Go Bison!! so I was just wanting to see if there any people from the area and if they know of any elk either out in the Medora area or else where in the state where they should not be I know they like to wander up to elk pens and try to get in there for their cows. I was in contact with a farmer and he has one on his land right now in a place where it is not suppose to be and he doesn't want it shot unless it starts to wreck things he claims it is rather tame and I respect that I wouldn't want to just shoot one in the ditch, that being said I am not apposed to hunting outside of the badlands if people see one wandering around I tried saving up as much money as I could this summer to fund this hunt and things start adding up real quick and as a broke college student if I could get one closer to my home base or one not there but is consistently in an area where I could go for a day or two and not have a huge hotel bill that would be great and to put meat in my freezer. this is my first elk hunt ever I tried to do as much homework as I could and its just finding them buggers and sealing the deal any help/info would be helpful

Thanks Jamen

I was informed about this website from a guy I have been in contact with the last two days. I will make my story short, I have a nd elk tag for unit E3/E4 I was out there scouting this summer went out over opener for a little over a week weather was anything but ideal 98 degrees and rain almost every day. seen 26 elk however was awesome got the bulls to bugle back to me so I must have been doing something right couldn't get them to cross over to public land was the hard part. I will be back out there in Nov unless something comes about. I know elk wander off and find themselves in places where they do not belong I am from Jamestown nd go to college at NDSU Go Bison!! so I was just wanting to see if there any people from the area and if they know of any elk either out in the Medora area or else where in the state where they should not be I know they like to wander up to elk pens and try to get in there for their cows. I was in contact with a farmer and he has one on his land right now in a place where it is not suppose to be and he doesn't want it shot unless it starts to wreck things he claims it is rather tame and I respect that I wouldn't want to just shoot one in the ditch, that being said I am not apposed to hunting outside of the badlands if people see one wandering around I tried saving up as much money as I could this summer to fund this hunt and things start adding up real quick and as a broke college student if I could get one closer to my home base or one not there but is consistently in an area where I could go for a day or two and not have a huge hotel bill that would be great and to put meat in my freezer. this is my first elk hunt ever I tried to do as much homework as I could and its just finding them buggers and sealing the deal any help/info would be helpful

Thanks Jamen

Two things...First, welcome to the site!!
Second, your typing IS KILLIN me! :) Come on man :hump:

Good luck putting Big Brown Down!!

SFC B

sorry about the typing I was in a hurry to get it down and put on here, had to go pull a friend out of a ditch while I was typing it. so I was in a hurry and thanks I hope big brown goes down too

Lots of elk around in E3. Don't be afraid to get away from the park. I see elk every year no where near the park. Go north, either side of the river. Keep at it and put in the time & you will find elk.

I haven't seen any in that area yet this year but have in the past, but will keep my eye out while I'm working and let you know if I see anything. And if I have a day off maybe you won't mind me tagging along. :D but like hardscrabble said try go north of the park.

thanks guys I appreciate it, I will be back out in Nov hard to get time off with college trying my hardest the real trophy was watching my dad have fun out there with me he kept saying for months that this was his hunt of a life time and that means more to me than any head on the wall

Jamen,

I attended the ND Game & Fish moose, elk and bighorn sheep "pre-hunt" meeting in Dickinson on September 5, 2013. The two gentleman running the meeting asked if there were any elk hunters from the eastern part of the ND in the room; if so, they had an idea for them to hunt closer to home... Everyone in attendence was determined to hunt the badlands, so they didn't go into great detail other than there were landowner complaints (elk related) south of Jamestown in unit E5 and they would put people in contact with the landowner (or vice versa).

I would expect that the big game biologist in Jamestown (Jason Smith, 320-2730) would be the best person to contact, he's close to that area and probably is the one getting an earful... If Jason can't help you, then try these two guys because they ran the meeting: Zane Manhart - 290-0462 , Bruce Stillings - 227-7431

PS - They also mentioned that hunting elk near Wibaux MT is a good idea (if you have a MT elk tag) because the ND elk have a tendency to leave the Kinley Plateau and work their way west as the season progresses...

Best of luck to you - MDJ

You sound a bit like our President : ( Need help. Out of money. things start adding up real quick)

Now it's oh shizzle?

5P's man.

MDJ,

Thanks for the info I totally forgot to call Jason just called him today he has my name and number now incase he sees one. I know where there is a good 5x5 bull 80 miles from Jamestown in a guy's cattle pasture. called him to see if I could come shoot it, he said it was too "tame" to shoot I mean I respect that he said you can get fairly close to him but would be nice to get one closer to where I live.

Putm2sleep it not like I am trying to beg people for information on here was just saying its not a cheap hunt and being a college student makes it much harder. the price I pay for books each year I could have an out of state elk tag but thanks for your input

Jamen

If I had a once in a lifetime Elk tag I whould blow off overated college from anywhere in the North Dakota system. Go find Your Elk. Once in a lifetime! Go back to School in Jan. If it takes a month so be it.........BOB!

If I had a once in a lifetime Elk tag I whould blow off overated college from anywhere in the North Dakota system. Go find Your Elk. Once in a lifetime! Go back to School in Jan. If it takes a month so be it.........BOB!

I hope the kid is picking up what your putting down bob..life's too short to want to 'shoot' an easy elk close to home on a once in a lifetime tag..hunt them, the season doesn't last forever..sleep in your truck and make sacrifices elsewhere to experience it.

I understand where all you guys are coming from and I really wish I could just leave and sleep in a tent out there til I get one, financially I can not forfeit over $4,000 in tuition I understand its a hunt of a life time, I have in my schedule another 5 day hunt over veterans day out there a 4 day hunt over thanksgiving and a 10 day hunt at the end of the semester at the end of Dec. I would love to shoot one out in the badlands don't get me wrong but if it comes to late Nov I would not be opposed to shooting one that wandered away from the herd and is harassing some cattle to put meat in the freezer. thanks for all the input guys this is both my first and my fathers first elk hunt we have ever been on and so far it has been a blast getting to bond with him because with school haven't been able to do that in some time like we have. I will keep you guys up to date on how the hunt goes.

Thanks again for the help
Jamen

Go on the west side of the river and head north towards the elkhorn campground, keep going north a little ways until you see a sign that says elkhorn ranch and turn right (east). It will be posted tighter than fortknox but don't worry the land to the south and southeast of the fence is public land. The ranch hands post the fence to make it look like they own it to keep people away. Keep heading east until the road bends north then you will see an oil rig to your right. Turn in there and hike the ridge lines, I have personnally seen elk in there. They hangout there because most people think it is posted and the river and fields are near by. There is also another spot southwest of there called alkali creek?, alkali something, look on a Grasslands map to find it. Hike in to the west quit aways, it will seem as if it is nothing and it will turn into some amazing stuff and there are elk in there as well. It is off the beaten path that most people wouldn't think of looking. One more spot is to turn at the Wannagan campground and drive until you come to the gate across the road. Hike the fence line to the south and southeast. It will lead you to some amazing land that I know a 350" bull was taken 2 years ago. Good luck and get one!!

thanks for the information, I know we ran into a few of those elkhorn ranch hands they are not the most friendly bunch of people ran into a few other elk hunters out there saying the hands drive their truck by some of the draws to scare elk back in their land and I was at alkali creek this summer scouting found a great water hole back there some tracks didn't see any elk was going to try there over opening weekend but there were two trucks parked there so I left it alone didn't want to wreck someone else's once in a lifetime hunt so hopefully now no one will be there ill pull my map out once I get home and plot the points on there you described thanks again for the help ill be back out there in two weeks I can not wait!!!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back