NC 8x7 bull with a taste for apples.

Was he on a ranch, or is NC starting to build a bit of an elk herd?

North Carolina introduced elk a few years ago, and they're starting to do really well around Cataloochee Valley in the mountains. There isn't a huntable population yet, but maybe some day!

That was a pretty cool video of putting those antlers to good use.

Was he on a ranch, or is NC starting to build a bit of an elk herd?

A lot of states out east and in the Midwest are getting their elk heard back. Most people don't realize it but there use to be elk all over the eastern and mid-western states. KY has a heard over 10k elk. Here in MO we're expected to have a limited draw season possibly in '16. TN, NC, VA, and a host of others states are already re-introduced elk or are in the process of doing it. The herds will probably never get to the size of what they are out west but it's better than nothing.

Last edited:
Without a title that video could have as easily been taken north of Durango, CO as the Elk love to winter in the apple orchards along the river valley of 550 North headed to Silverton, Co. John

Awesome video neighbor! Here in va it has been legal to kill the elk that come into the state from tn, ky, nc and wv, under the guise of chronic wasting. Now that we started a restoration effort this only happens outside the tri county area. I certainly hope it will stop all together. I think we have averaged one or two a year for a while. My boys are already wanting to scout out areas to hunt when, many years from now, we could get the chance to hunt elk in our home state.

I'm trying to start a grass roots movement to introduce antelope to virginia, will be taking donations to help the cause. Lol

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbonser94
Back