MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

My Turkey

Art Vandeley

I got a Tom at 6:07 this morning. I was able to hunt last Sunday, but set up too far away from their roost, and a hen led the toms onto private land just out of shooting range.

I wanted a do over bad, and it was killing me all week. I decided to head over yesterday evening, and was going to be able to hunt until about 9am this morning. It was 9 degrees this morning when I began hiking into my spot. I got set up as close as I dared and was wondering if the birds would be roasted in their again. My curiosity was soon eliminated when a hen yelped in a the tree within 100 yards. 3 gobbles erupted from the same tree. I let out a light yelp out and was cut off by the gobblers. As daylight came, I watched the birds fly down to an open knob. They were strutting and gobbling, but I had competition as the hen was with them already. They were very close to the public land boundary, and a repeat of Sunday was exactly what I didn't want. I decided to get aggressive with some quick loud yelps. It worked and the Tom led the 3 others in my direction, strutting half the way in. The was a ditch at 50 yards, when they went in the ditch I got my gun ready, the Tom came first up the hill and when he was at 40 yards, I fired and the bird dropped. I looked up at my grandpa who passed away last April, he was an avid turkey hunter, and thanked him for the help. Good times boys!

URL=http://s1338.photobucket.com/user/artvandeley12/media/image_zps784fc33f.jpg.html]
image_zps784fc33f.jpg
[/URL]

I just re read this and noticed all the typos, my apologies. Thanks everyone

Good job. How is the population where you hunt? The area I deer hunt used to have a lot of birds, but dropped to almost none from that winter a couple years ago that killed all the lopes

Good job. How is the population where you hunt? The area I deer hunt used to have a lot of birds, but dropped to almost none from that winter a couple years ago that killed all the lopes

They seem to be doing ok, this is my first year hunting the area so I can't compare it to anything. One rancher I talked to said that their numbers are down some from all the rains a few years ago. He said the chicks were hatched way late and were pretty small still when it started getting cold and snowy in the fall.. All that being said, there was still plenty of birds around.

Here are some scouting pictures:

Strutting Tom on skyline:

Roosted Bird:

Wapiti

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back