Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

My son Jacob's bird

mdcrossbow

This weekend I left for Grosvenors to Hunt Thursday evening Friday and Saturday down near my sons school in Va. Thursday neither Grosvenor or I were able to call in a bird so Saturday I picked Jacob up at school and we headed out. After sitting for an hour Jake said he heard a gobble across on the opposite ridge so we started heading down the hill. About half way down I strike up the slate and get a gobble up the ridge we were on but back about 150 yards I the hard woods so we high tail it back to the blind and sit for a few minutes but brought nothing so we head back down and at the same place I hit the slate again. This time the gobble was on the top of the other ridge so we ditched into the thick pines and I hit the call again but softer and I get another 2 or 3 gobble's but he was still on the top of the ridge so we head down to the bottom and get just inside the hard woods. I set Jake up to my left and call again and he hammers the call with 4-5 gobbles but he still stayed on top. About about 45 minutes later I told Jake we needed to head up the side and when I could see the top about 70 yards away we set up with Jake to my right about 10 yards higher. I give a few soft calls and it gets hammered but by the bird back on the other ridge and he gobbles again and again, I had a feeling the bird we were going after spotted us and moved on, I told Jake to move to the other side of the tree and get ready. As soon as he was ready I gave a few soft calls and he hammered it again. Now I can see the Tom coming down and strutting all the way into the bottom. Jake had a big oak tree in the way about 25 yards out and luckily the bird passed the big oak on the right and worked his way around a small brier thicket and into a small grove of populars. The Tom was 20 paces from Jake and behind a popular so I made a soft per and he hammered it and moved out strutting and with another gobble Jake Hammered him with a full load of #6. The bird was out. Jake was as steady as a rock. He Jumped up and ran over to the bird and we both gave each other high 5's and fist to fist a few times. Then he turned the bird over and I was jealous, he sported an 11" bird to the longest strand and 1 1/4" and 1 3/8" spurs and weighed about 24-25 pound.
Grosvenor was as jealous as I was since he had that bird in his sights for the past two years.
Jake spends 2 hours in the woods and comes out with a real trophy.
Something about calling in birds. Between my mentor John and spending a few days with Trent are Southbound outfitters in Oklahoms and Grosvenor telling me to call softer I seemed to have put it all togther for Jake. It's the only time he could get out and I was a little apprehensive to say the least about getting him a bird after the 2 days Grosvenor and I just had.

493025.JPG

493027.JPG

493028.JPG

493029.JPG

Awesome and congrats !!!! I wuld liek to count up how many birds Hunttalk has put on the dinner table this year. I would say quiet a few !!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back