My little bull

Elkhunter

Well it was a great season but also a very hard season for hunting. The weather was depits. If it wasn't 75 degrees and hot it was windy as all get out. I saw many elk this year. I was going after a decent bull and none of the ones I saw offered me a shot. This was the first elk I saw since Tuesday morning and only had two days left to fill my tag. The weather forecast was for more heat to come in and to be back into the 70s again. Well I though long and hard about it and when I weighed the options of time, the weather forecast and what I have been seeing the past few days I decided to take it. Plus the fact that it was right near the trail with a shot offerede at roughly 75 feet.

DSC00907.jpg

DSC00908.jpg

Elkie,
An elk is an Elk is an Elk.
It does not matter on the size. its the adventure and the way it tastes when everyone else has been blanked.

Thanks for the pictures and the story.
what firearm is that? 300? 7mm? 30-06?

Congrats to ya Bill. Wish I had of still be there to help ya out with him.

Yes there's some flat land there but mostly not.

Good job! damn weather can ruin a hunt fast.
I was out bow deer hunting today and it was 70 out. SUCKS

Way to go on the bull. Nice to have it right on the trail. Also, way to hold out and maximize your time in the field.

What is next on the list? See any good deer while you were chasing elk?

mtmiller, the only deer I saw this year were all flat tops. Last year there were 7 nice bucks up there and I know that only 3 were taken and this year never saw them. Talking to some Utah boys yesterday morning, they saw 4 big bucks in the gladed meadow the day before. Well I guess they are still in the area then.

Now you tell us that Michelle. Where was all this good info in time for a dinner invite?? Huh?? You're just teasing us..

By the way, How's Lady Jane doing with her recovery? Give her our best wishes...

Thanks
cool.gif

Elkhunter, do you bebone the elk or throw the 1/4's on the Horse ? can 1 horse pack out a spike elk ?

I need you closer here !!! We came across a few elk that we wouldn't of wanted to pack on our backs !!

Way to go Elkhunter, definitely got some good eating ahead of you and alot bigger elk then many will end up with.

Moosie, I do not debone any of my elk. I skin, cut off the quarters, and cut off the lower legs. I place the quarters in saddle panniers. I put the loins on top of the quarters. Ontop of that I place all my extra crap and tie my coat on the back. The head and/or antlers get tied on last on top where you would normally sit. One horse, one elk, and lead the horse out.

Congrats on your bull! Looks like beautiful country you were hunting in. I hope to come up there some day.

Elkhunter,

Are you using the canvas roll-up panniers, that go over your riding saddle? And then you stuff a front and a hind quarter on each side? And when you say loins, are you meaning the Backstraps, or the Tenderloins?

Are you putting a rack and a cape on, too (no, not on the Spike, but if you get a big bull)?

And then I assume you lead the horse out.

Back