My first mule deer....

Your first huh? :rolleyes:
That is an awesome buck though.
Congrats.

That's a pretty deer, nice work! Gotta say that's about my ideal frame.

The hunt was pretty short. We spotted this buck and another the first morning we hunted. We thought we could make a play on both bucks, but as it worked out, both of them bedded for the morning. One 200 yards from us the other 600. We waited them out for about 2 hours hoping they'd get up and move, but hypothermia set in and we had to bail. We returned to camp to warm up and headed out later that afternoon.

The plan was to hope the closest one stood, smoke him, and then make a move on the other. As luck turned out my buck got up first and was heading up out of the pocket and possibly could slip away. I pulled back and circled above my buck to get a shot. Just as things were starting to play out perfectly my pard shot his deer, and mine got nervous and moved into an aspen pocket and laid up, but I could still see him. He only had to go 50 yards and would be gone.

I had to wait him out for another half hour or more before he got up, being spooked by a cow that was barking at me, he tried to make an escape, but the 280 took that possibily away.

We spent the next couple days packing meat back to the trail head. Saw plenty of elk on this trip, and was glad I didn't buy a tag. We'd still be packing meat.

picture.php

Great buck Ivan!! This has been a horrible year for me on getting out to even hunt. I need someone to tie one up for me.

Nice job Ivan! Congrats to you guys on a couple of dandy deer.
On my NM 2B supposed world class tag, i hunted for 5 days and all the bucks i saw in five days wouldn't add up to a gross score of either of the two you guys got:):)

Sure is some nice looking deer country..;) congrats on a nice deer and surviving the pack out...

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildfan99
Back