Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

My first archery season

Zach

I bought my bow about 4-5 months before season and practiced as much as I could. I pulled an archery deer tag here in CO and was given permission to hunt some private property on a limited basis. Even though it was a 3 month season basically, I was limited to about 2 weekends a month and a few weekdays.

I put up 2 cams before the season to see if I could pattern the deer in the areas I could hunt and had a couple good spots. The trees really didn't allow for a stand so I basically was on the ground and spot & stock.

There were basically 2 deer that I set my sights on and went about chasing them all the time. I had several stocks that ended at about 60yds. Since this was my first archery season I set my yardage limits to 40yds or less. I felt 100 percent confident at that range.

I have to say that I learned a lot even though I didn't fill my tag. I think mostly is how to approach deer. How to use the wind in your favor, how to use cover in your favor. How well deer can really hear and smell. How a buck seems to use his does to work the wind and what they smell.

I have to say if this had been a rifle hunt, it would have been over several times. That wasn't the case though and I'm glad about it. I'm really looking forward to this years archery hunt and hope to put my confidence level out to 60yds with lots of practice.

Here is the #1 buck. Hopefully he'll come around later this year. I'll be looking for his sheds in a few months.

PICT0358-L.jpg

PICT0002-L.jpg

He's a beauty!! The 2nd photo is excellent. You'll enjoy bow hunting, it allows for alot more time in the field. Best of luck next year!

Nice pics and congrats on completing your first season, even though you didn't shoot one. I am using '12 as my first full archery season. I hope to learn and gain the archer's knowledge to take down deer, elk, and antelope! Best of luck in '12!

I enjoy all types of hunting, but archery definitely has a way of making your heart race. You can have such close encounters that don't even end with a shot taken, non-archers sometimes ask how you could have been so close and not get a shot, but once it's in your blood you're hooked. Best of luck to you this year and I hope you find that buck!

Sorry you didn't get him, but now you have something to dream about. October 1st will be here before you know it ;)

Dang son! Nice spot you got going there. Hang in there. In took me four years of hunting archery to close on an elk. I think a Mulie might be even more difficult. You'll get him.

Dang son! Nice spot you got going there. Hang in there. In took me four years of hunting archery to close on an elk. I think a Mulie might be even more difficult. You'll get him.

I'm debating on an archery elk tag this year. I've got a few ideas where to go and I'd be happy with a cow.

I used to bow hunt a lot in the late 80's. I moved up to the big city (Minneapolis) for work and found that my time commitment to Archery had changes and I started rifle hunting in the northern part of the state more. Today, I have gone back to archery and have not fired a rifle round in 4 years. I have made time for archery. It is just too much fun. I do find myself in need of a good varmint rifle to help thin out some coyotes and for the hopefully upcoming wolf season in MN.

Awesome Zach,
It took me ten hard years of archery hunting before my first kill. I always put in and got my archery tag in SD, but just never put in the dedicated time I needed when I was younger. As I grew older and had more time the better I got. I have had recent success in the last couple of years her in MT, and a big reason is the new equipment that is out. It can get frustrating having close call after close call, but it will come together with experience. I have been archery hunting since 2000 and harvested my first animal, which was an antelope buck that officially scored 66 4/8 P&Y. I learned a lot over the years and it paid off. That buck only took me sitting in a blind for 6 days. The very next spring I harvested my first turkey with a bow, and just this fall shot my 2nd antelope buck, and my first mule deer buck. Needless to say my rifle will most likely stay in the gun case. One of the most addictive things you can get into. Best of luck in the future, you are on the right path.

Back