My birdfriend's back and they're gonna be in trouble (Hey la, hey la, my birdfriend's back)

Been a while since I checked in on this thread—like usual, it’s some of the neatest, most fascinating storytelling on Hunt Talk. I’m fairly confident I’m not consistently detail-oriented enough to get into falconry myself, but it sure is interesting to read about. I hope your next bird expands your knowledge and repertoire even further, @BirdManMike. Thanks for sharing all this stuff.

Roach bound to a hun in the air today, but it shook free as he was bringing it down. First time in a long time one of them hasn’t got got when I’ve given him a decent shot which he had today - they were out in no man’s land with a LONG flight to safety. One of the coveys, anyway, other two weren’t flyable. He has killed one the past couple outings - sorry no pics.

He hasn’t flown homers in a while. When he came back and remounted, I thought ‘we aren’t flying every day anymore - his pitches are a little lower and he has been in the quite air a while so he’s probably gassed’.

Nope. One of my nice homers died. Dang, not my intent. Had two harriers circling him - he dragged it into some sage and was on high alert. I can’t believe there are still harriers around at the end of December. Danged El Niño.

Not much longer left with him.

Two flights on separate coveys today, both involving not only Roach but his Prairie Falcon friend who I hadnt seen in a while until today. I think she is the only reason we didnt put one in the bag today.

First flush I didnt know she was there, second I thought she was gone. First covey flushed clean with Roach at 800'. He put in a nice stoop and then pulled out before hitting one of the huns. The Prairie was stooping, too, from somewhere really wide of the flush - I am sure Roach knew she was in the air with him.

She changed target to Roach, making a pass at him then chasing him around trying to crab with him. She really wanted a fight, but luckily Roach didnt and - even though he is only flying ~3x/week - he was able to outfly her pretty easily.

She got tired of chasing him around then went off to follow Greta around a while hoping for a freebie. Eventually she left and we were able to get another point. With Roach at ~1000' and a little wide, I flushed the birds. Down he came with the flying going over the crest of the hill so I couldnt see the ending. What I did see was him beelining it back with her on his ass again.

I pulled the lure and brought him down at that point. She circled us a bit while he ate and followed Greta a little longer before heading out.

Here are a couple pictures of her chasing Roach (shes the lighter bird behind) and following Greta.

IMG_1552.jpgIMG_1558.jpgIMG_1559.jpgIMG_1549.jpg

I feel finished with the season. I dont mean this negatively - this has been one of my best seasons, if not my best - but I feel done. I have been going since mid-August, and this sport is every day - in case thats not abundantly clear by this and last year's topic at this point - whether I am hunting that day or not, especially so with Roach who I cant just leave out in the weathering area for the day like other birds for fear of him beating himself up and injuring himself as he has in the past.

I spoke to his breeder yesterday hoping to put him back in one of the breeding chambers this week, but he isnt ready for Roach for another couple weeks. Im going to fly throw next weekend then Ill fatten him up for a week before he goes into the chamber. I have my own chamber he could go into temporarily, but thats more trouble than its worth so Im just going to enjoy a few more flights with him, hopefully killing another hun or two.

I think we have 3 flights left.

Feeling a little melancholy this evening. A lot, really.

Am looking back thru pictures on this topic. This topic, and last years. Pictures of Roach...

The feelings are similar to every bird I have ever had -- Should I go another year with this one? Did I get all I could out of him/her? Is this the right decision? What does the future hold....

The melancholia is stronger this time. Ive never documented the progress of any of my birds quite like I have with Roach. This is the difference, I think, I hope. It is all there - all written down. - all there for me to see, to remember, to reminisce.

#*^@#*, I dont really know. Its coming to a close.

Make that 2 flights left.

16 degrees today which is fine but not with cold, 30mph winds. I made it about 100ft out the truck before calling it. Roach was doing his kite impression the whole time.

Greta found 2 coveys in the <1 mile she ran and bumped them both. They flew over us to the creek. It’s tough with those sortve conditions.

Turned around just fed him at the house.

Thats it. With the cold front coming in overnight bring high temps into the single digits and negatives, the next ~5 days are going to be too cold for Greta, Roach, and me to be afield for any length of time. Ive just spoken to my friend and he will be ready for Roach next week. I am going to feed him up to put some fat on him the next 6 or 7 days then out of my care he goes.

His last flight was today. We didnt get a point. I let him mount to >1000' then threw an easy pigeon which got got.

Did you know that falcons can swoop down to catch fish like an eagle? Neither did I.

IMG_1592.jpeg

I got the usual batch of pictures and notes in the mail from the local 2nd graders from the falcon show and tell I do for them every year. The notes are always so funny. It’s a ton of fun and the kids are so always so excited.

IMG_1591.jpeg

Roach and I part ways this weekend.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back