My birdfriend's back and they're gonna be in trouble (Hey la, hey la, my birdfriend's back)

BirdManMike

I changed a couple words, but Im sure everyone recognizes the tune. I hope its not stuck in your head the rest of the day!

This morning I pulled Roach out of the flight chamber. He moulted pretty well with the #2 primaries being about 90% done and the #1s roughly 40% done plus a bunchve juvenile body feathers remaining (brown ones in the back pics). His beak and talons needed quite a bit of a coping. Ill start cutting the weight, reacquainting him to the lure, then we are off to the races building muscle in preparation for the opener.

IMG-0614.jpgIMG-0615.jpgIMG-0616.jpg

BirdManMike said:
I hope its not stuck in your head the rest of the day!

I lied - I totally hope it is.

(Hey la, hey la, my birdfriend's back!)

What are your favorite species to hunt with him? I have always been intrigued by falconry and respect the incredible time and patience necessary to do it properly

The best-flying birds can be difficult to handle, but they usually settle down their second year. So Im always being told.

Roach is a pain in the ass. At the moment, I dislike him a lot - he doesnt sit still, he throws constant tantrums, freaks out at dumb stuff. He was like this last season - difficult to get going - and, though he is 'better' this year, he is still a constant headache.

Im sure my feeling are going to change once he is airborne starting tomorrow. He was an incredible flier last season, and this should be an improvement. The change in focus and exertion of some of that energy will certainly help things, too. A little behind schedule - like last season - so we will probably miss opening day as far as hunting goes, but he will certainly be ready to but over gamebird in 7-10 days.

If you were to ask me whether I prefer a 'nice' bird - as many peregrines are, absolute sweethearts - that didnt fly quite the way I wanted versus a high flying, hard hunting falcon that is a total dick, like, Roach, Id be hard pressed to decide. Right now, Id probably say Id like a nice bird, but in a few weeks that answer is probably going to be different.

At least the little shit is pretty.

IMG-0714.jpgIMG-0709.jpg

Ive been running Greta Grouse in the mornings the past couple weeks to see what bird conditions are like. My usual early season spots have held literally nothing. Its been a wet year and everything is still really green with good grass conditions so the birds have more options.

My valley isnt the best for bird numbers. The hun numbers, especially, are extremely cyclical. Ive had 3 seasons of progressively good numbers of huns culminating in last winter's exceptional numbers. The couple seasons prior, youd have thought there were no huns in the entire valley - there were two seasons where I could (probably) count on 2 hands the number of points on coveys I found, all of them on private and the same couple coveys. I am hoping my prediction isnt entirely accurate - with the sheer number of huns around at the end of winter, there are bound to be some coveys around. Also of note, the gun hunting pressure usually lags a season behind the peak of the birds - Id expect more gun hinters out in the fields - public fields, anyway - than last season which was most certainly a peak in numbers.

The grouse are a little hardier. There used to be a wonderful early season grouse field - especially on wet years like this one - that would be absolutely loaded with birds in the early season. That changed a couple years ago when the adjacent ranch was sold -- the new owners who also own the grazing lease now graze the ever-living F out of the section. The grouse will start using it once snow start flying -- the contours of the field give good snow and wind relief and there is enough sparse sage and grass for the birds. Other grouse fields should start holding birds, too, once its gets colder and the sharptail move out of the hills where its difficult to get goods flight on them. Then there are the sage grouse which I see fewer of each year as leks are demolished for new hay fields and whatever else -- its sad to see but c'est la vie.

I was able to get my first point this morning -- two young sharptail in a field that usually doesnt have them. Perfect targets for Roach were he flying. They - of course - were up against a fence line and crossed to public land when flushed. I only note that because they may be dead come Friday, the only potential saving grace being that there are a crapload of cattle out grazing the public that arent usually there so the guys that go clean up on the one at the opener may be leary of running dogs.

So thats the update. Im excited to get going and see what the season brings. Hopefully the birds appear once the weather cools, but if not there are always pigeons to fly and excitement to be had!

He went up 150’ first time out this morning, stuck with me, kept pumping his wings for a couple minutes, and stooped the lure hard.

Then he ate on the fist like a total dick, hissing at me, mantling, smacking me in the face with his wing.

It’s a real love story.

He road the fist back to the vehicle like a nice guy. Homers tomorrow. He will be mounting to 1000’+ again in a couple weeks.

IMG_0739.jpeg

@BirdManMike Maybe you have answered this before but what is the collar around his neck?

Looking forward to the rest of the season in this thread. Stoked to get my four legged friend out on the sharpies come opener.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back