Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

My 2013 Wyoming Bull.

Thanks for the comments everyone. This is for sure a bull of a lifetime. I made the mistake of telling my wife that this bull has it all and I was so happy with him and she said I could quit hunting for elk then!

When I shot him, I had no idea how big he was. It was in the dark timber and all I knew for sure was that he was a legal bull. Walking up to him I realized he was a very nice bull and after getting up close and personal I knew I had a taxidermy bill waiting for me when I got him home and he was going to need to be caped. I thought he was at least 330" and might get to 340". I didn't put a tape on him until that night back and camp and I had to check my math several times because I thought I must be making a math mistake or something.

I've run the tape on him twice and the first time I came up with 374" gross and 363" net and the second time I came up with 377" gross and 366" net. I'm not intentionally stretching the tape or anything, but I keep thinking I must be messing something up. I put all the measurements in the B&C online scoresheet so my math is correct, I just keep telling myself that he can't be that big though. Mass measurements come out just under 30" on both antlers, he carries his mass all the way back and his C4 is the only number under 7" and it is 6 3/4". The shortest tine on him is his left G5 and it measures 11 1/2". The main beams are 54 1/2" and 55" and both of them go a full 18" past his G5's. Inside spread credit is 41" and although it doesn't count in the score, his maximum outside spread is 55". My taxidermist is good friends with a P&Y scorer and he's going to see if he will score him for me next week.

I need to get all the pictures together and will probably try to work up the full story tonight. I get pretty wordy so it will probably be a novel when I actually start writing it. I thought about trying to save it up and submit it to a magazine, but decided I would rather share it online instead. Now I just need to write it all up and get some more pictures posted.

I thought I would answer some specific questions in the meantime.

Way cool character.

ps nice shirt.

Thanks. I wore both of the shirts that I bought from you and both ended up with some blood on them. My buddy got a bull too.

Hope the pack out was as short as this story.

I don't know why I say this but he looks very elk-stinky (essence of elk)

The packout wasn't bad at all actually, and he didn't stink much either. My buddy shot a raghorn a couple days later and he stunk like elk much worse.

Very nice, what did u shoot him with?

My 7mm Rem Mag, Browning A-bolt Stainless Stalker. 150 grain E-Tip bullet that I'm going to post some pictures of later. Somewhere around a 50 yard shot, dark timber.

Great bull. I had no idea that the head and cape weighed even close to that. That's quite the load.

I caped him up to the base of his neck and trimmed off all that I could. I was even able to cut his tongue out from under his jawbone so all that was left was the skull, antlers and cape. I did cut the cape pretty far back because I haven't decided on how I'm going to mount him and may go with a pedestal mount so I wanted to make sure I had plenty of cape for the taxidermist to work with.

Great bull. I hope your NM hunt goes this well. Can't wait for the full story.

Thanks. This is kind of making me re-think my priorities on the rest of my hunts for sure. I doubt I will have a chance to shoot a bigger bull than this in my life, so I need to decide whether I just go out to shoot a nice representative animal or what on my future hunts. It also has me thinking about all the points I've been building in Utah, Arizona, Nevada, and Wyoming.

Last edited:
One more thing...looks like your training regimen has really paid dividends. Your knees have got to be thanking you.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenleafoutfitters
Back