PEAX Equipment

My 2013 Season... so far

MHMT

Archery opener started out rough for me with some close calls on several bulls, one of which was about enough to make me cry. I called in beautiful 330+ 6x6 to 20 yards, I was at full draw but he was straight on. I held back longer than I ever have, I started to shake, went light headed and eventually my arm collapsed... what made it worse, is he didn’t spook, he stood there, turned broadside, and I could not draw my bow to save my life. He eventually trotted off as I sat trying to draw my bow, pulling with everything I had. Miraculously, I went over the hill and he was standing at 40 yards, I finally was able to draw my bow back, and sent an arrow right under him. I probably shouldn’t have shot, as tired and frustrated as I was, but at least it was a clean miss.
MAH_0275.JPG

I did end up having a little bit better luck with deer. I managed to glass, (what I consider a good buck) bedded in a perfect spot for a stalk. It was a hot day so he was bedded right below a cliff in the shade. I snuck around and ended up spooking three smaller bucks, before I got to him, so I kind of assumed the jig was up... but when I crept over the ledge I saw his velvet rack still below. He heard me and stood up to look at me, I stepped back, drew my bow, leaned over the edge and made the 11 yard shot straight down. I was able to watch him run a ways, lay down, and expire.
MAH_0900.JPG

MAH_0918.JPG

He is not a monster, but it is my first archery buck and I am pretty dang happy with him. It was a little rough cutting him up with the heat and the flies so I tried to go quick, skipping boning everything out and threw the straps, scraps and “bone in” quarters, rack and cape, into several game bags and my backpack. Made it about 75 yards before I fell over and realized that it was a bad idea. So I put half of it in the shade and tried to move quick with two trips. It definitely paid off having a cooler full of ice back at my pickup.

Attachments

• screen-capture-8.jpg
    screen-capture-8.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:
To bad about the bull but you sure made up for it with an awesome buck! Congrats on your trophy and great pics!

Really good looking buck, congrats man. Good luck on the elk.

That's a great buck to be proud of, rifle or bow. Now go get your redemption on the elk.

No confidence in a frontal shot on elk?

Nope. I have seen it not work, even when perfectly placed. I did not want to risk it.

Congrats, are you shoulder mounting him?

Haven't decided yet. My income in the near future is questionable, so it is currently in the freezer. If anyone wants to sponser the cost of the shoulder mount, I would love to have it done :D

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back