My 2011 Waterfowl Season....so far

grizzly5028

Well this is only my second year waterfowl hunting, but I am very happy with what I have got. Shot mainly wood ducks and geese, but did get one hooded merganser (Which is going to be going to be stuffed) so i figured Id share some pictures

Attachments

• SANY1021.jpg
    SANY1021.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 245
  • SANY0837.jpg
    SANY0837.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 246
  • SANY0842.jpg
    SANY0842.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 273
  • SANY0848.jpg
    SANY0848.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 253
  • SANY0931.jpg
    SANY0931.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 244
  • SANY0960.jpg
    SANY0960.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 245
  • SANY0971.jpg
    SANY0971.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 247
  • SANY0972.jpg
    SANY0972.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 251
  • SANY0983.jpg
    SANY0983.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 251
  • SANY0997.jpg
    SANY0997.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 241
  • SANY1007.jpg
    SANY1007.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 244
Welcome to the addiction. I've only shot one hoodie, it was a first hunt with a young dog. I think they're one of the prettiest birds out there, and wish I'd been able to get it mounted.

I agree they are one of the prettiest birds you can shoot. Its almost in perfect shape, 1 pellet between the eyes and a little blood on one the wings so it should turn out really nice.... now I just got to figure out how to get it done :)

I agree they are one of the prettiest birds you can shoot. Its almost in perfect shape, 1 pellet between the eyes and a little blood on one the wings so it should turn out really nice.... now I just got to figure out how to get it done :)

You sound like you shoot as well as I do...almost missed!:D But it makes for a beautiful mount. Taxi`s love me! :confused:

As for figuring out how to get it done. You talking financially or physical steps to getting the bird mounted?

More or less just picking out how I want to mount it, my taxidermist should be finishing a wood duck i shot last year so i figured i drop this one off when i pick the other up. im just not 100% sure how i would like it done. Ive looked at some pictures online and like some of them, but im still up in the air on what i like the most.

How much do most guys charge for a duck mount?

Ive seen them range from 125-300 depending on who does it. Id say a fair price is around 200 for a quality mount, but you should always look at work the guy has done previously. some taxidermists can't mount birds. Ive seen some really bad ones that some of my friends had done and they look like pretty rough.

I think Hoodie's are really a fine looking waterfowl. My mount is flying,wings extended, breast kinda toward the wall but turned so you can see it a little and hood fully extended.
Use taxidermist who know what they are doing on bird mounts of any kind-----some excellent mammal taxidermist absolutely suck on birds----they, birds, are a pain in the azz compared to mammals.The taxidermist must love doing birds to do a good job that looks natural. Many don't!

thanks for the suggestion guys, im pretty excited about getting it done, just got to get my wood duck back first before i can take this one in.

I wish we had a lot of woodies here in Alberta. Only seen and killed 2 in the last 10 years of guiding and that was with over 110+ shoots in a year. Nice pics!

I wish we had a lot of woodies here in Alberta. Only seen and killed 2 in the last 10 years of guiding and that was with over 110+ shoots in a year. Nice pics!

Wood ducks are all it seemed like I could kill this year lol, didn't really see too many other species had a really quick freeze and they didn't stick around too long this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back