Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Muzzle tape

scapegoat

I was watching some of Randy's hunts last night and noticed that he usually has tape over the end of his muzzle. I'd like to do this, but want to know: if I don't remove it before I shoot, will it affect the bullet or trajectory? Thanks fellas.

It won't have any effect on bullet trajectory or safety shooting with it on! The gases created when you shoot will probably blow it off before the bullet even gets to the end of the barrel.

But, if you really want to freak your wife, buy a couple packs of condoms, just before you leave for an extended hunt and simply explain it's to keep your 'muzzle' dry !! :eek:

Electrical tape works great, I've also used painters masking tape.

If I have time, I'll pull it before a shot. If I don't have time it's generally a short shot and if there was any change to POI it wouldn't matter.

I have used tape but prefer to cut the fingers off of latex gloves and make barrel condoms when I do late season hunts.

Most places that develop photos will have little finger "condoms" that they use to keep from getting grease/oil on the pictures. They will usually give you a handful if you ask. These work great as long as you can handle a few micro weiner jokes;)

Electrical tape works best for me. I tried the finger condoms but my gunsight would tear them up. Yeah I know there are jokes there...

The bullet movement down the barrel creates a tsunami at air traveling over 1000 feet per second which will defeat the tape long before the bullet arrives at the muzzle. I have never removed the tape. Most of the time I use a bit of plastic wrap that I then pull tight and tape around the wrap so no tape actually is touching my gun. You can always test at the range.

I use electrical tape. I've shot through it at the range just to check on it and couldn't tell any difference.

I wrap an extra wrap or 2 around the barrel so if I shoot through it I have some more readily available to tape back over it. It also helps keep it from peeling off. There is just 1 layer of tape over the muzzle though.

Finger Cots

The small rubber finger covers someone refered to are called finger cots and can be purchased at most any pharmacy. They look like minature condoms. Have used small party ballons as well.

The bullet movement down the barrel creates a tsunami at air traveling over 1000 feet per second which will defeat the tape long before the bullet arrives at the muzzle. I have never removed the tape. Most of the time I use a bit of plastic wrap that I then pull tight and tape around the wrap so no tape actually is touching my gun. You can always test at the range.

Yep. No tape will be a problem. It can totally save your hunt. Cheap electrical works fine and the tape sticky is easy to remove if it bothers you.

I use electrical tape. I've shot through it at the range just to check on it and couldn't tell any difference.

I wrap an extra wrap or 2 around the barrel so if I shoot through it I have some more readily available to tape back over it. It also helps keep it from peeling off. There is just 1 layer of tape over the muzzle though.

This.

Back