Muzzle Loader hunt Colorado unit 67

adamwipp

My dad, brother and I are going to be hunting unit 67 in the 2011 muzzy,elk season. We are going to be doing a do it your self hunt and plan on camping some where. I’m looking for any info from any who has hunted this unit! Looking for some public areas to start hunting in? Also looking for places that we can camp? For my brother and me, this will be are first elk hunt, so we are not looking for a monster elk, but more for areas where we might see some descent numbers of elk.My dad has been bow hunting over the counter units in Colorado for the last 20 years and saving his points in hopes of hunting unit 2, and he has been saving points for us for while now too. I've been looking at maps of the unit and the southern border looks like it is very high altitude, do we have to hunt in this area or are there elk in some of the lower altitude areas? I am also wondering if any one knows if there are any elk this time of year near saw-tooth mountain or south of there? Thanks for any info. Adam Wipperfurth

Adam - Those are multiple questions. Have you looked at the link of "Elk Hunting University" on the CO DOW website?

That is the best starting point I have found on the web, as it relates to elk hunting in CO. Read the many links listed on that page, and I think it will help with what you have asked.

Here is the link:

CO DOW - Elk Hunting University

Good luck.

Yes you are right, anything can happen but I have 2 more points than than the poeple who drew 100% and 3 more points than min. points needed last year! Just trying to start looking for some info early incase i draw. Thanks for info though!!!

I'd do as BIG FIN suggested and look into the U. They have interactive maps on there that show primary range for summer and winter as well as calving grounds. Lots of good info in those maps. I'd also suggest taking a trip in june or july to the area and look around. Nothing beats being there. It'll give you a better idea of the terrain and should help nail down a starting point.

I took the family camping in GMU 67 last summer, and all I can say is "Good Luck"

Great looking country, but we saw no Elk or sign and very few Deer. Saw the most Elk in an OTC GMU next to 67.

But with that said, you'll probably see hundreds LOL! ;)

I've seen elk in that unit, plenty of them and some say big for Colorado;) just don't know if I'm ready to share that kind of information just yet. what do you consider high altitude? I would say def around 11000 ft is a good place to start looking for them. I don't know about other elevations just where I have been. I mean listen to the other guy...no elk in 67 :rolleyes:

Thanks for your post Mudrandger1, I under stand not wanting to give away your hot spots! Ive heard from a few people that unit 67 was better before 2008, but ive still heard that its not to bad! I want to muzzy hunt elk some where this year and 67 looks like the best place for us to use are points.

Does any one have any thoughts on places to camp in souther part of 67. Also does any one have any thoughts on saying in a cabin around creed or powder hour? wondering how long it would take to get to hunting areas?

Cry me a river, dude. Spend a few minutes on Google, or the DOW websight, or even call the DOW offices in the area (the phone numbers are listed) and I'm willing to bet you would find a wildlife biologist willing to talk to you. You've been given a point in the right direction for you to be able to help yourself, but instead in your mighty 6 posts have come here and asked for pretty much everyone else to do it for you and answer your questions that a little research on your part would provide. Are you looking for someone to actually do the hunt for you too and pull the trigger and pack out the animal while you just sit back and wait in the truck? For God's sake, dude...help yourself a little and find some answers for yourself...it's part of the whole OYO experience and part of the enjoyment of the hunt when you do it and are successful.

...living vicariously through everyone else's hunting success since my year is sucking...JohnCushman

Sounds like your life must suck! Are resently divorced? Is this all you have to do with yourself is come bit..ch at me for trying to talk to people who have hunted in the unit, I am hopeing to hunt? No one if forcing you to read me thread! Sorry that part of my way of preparing for my first elk hunt is looking for info from people. I have spent many hours on cdow. I have not called a wildlife biologist yet, but, thank you for your first post with some info. I will try to find a biologist. In the future if you dont like my posts just dont read them please!!!!!

Sorry I got you so upset! AdamWipp

I have an incredible life, as a matter of fact. What you took from my signature, out of context I might add, was the fact that I hunted my ass off in 3 states and struck out with every tag I had. But, I struck out on my own without anyone else's help or telling me where to go in a unit. What pisses me off is new people coming on here and with their first post looking for advice on hunting areas and whatnot when they haven't bothered to try to help themselves first. It's real easy to be told where to go and when to go there and what to look for, but it seems to take a little too much effort for some people to do the leg work for themselves. That's what pisses me off about this thread. I posted the other day asking for information about where to start looking for maps for an area I was planning to hunt in another state and was given alot of information. From that information I already have a plan for a hunt in 2013 after talking to a wildlife biologist, chamber of commerce, a taxidermist, and people at the Idaho game and fish department. I am overly grateful for the information I got from my post looking for a map, but you can ask several people on here that I have also given advice and information to plenty of people who have shown that they are willing to help themselves. So, before you come on here looking for people to do your job for you, show that you've done some research on your own and what you've found.

A little word to the wise...mocking a man's mariatal status possibilities and quality of life isn't going to make anyone too many friends around here

Last edited:
I see where your coming from, but this is my first time elk hunting and ive never researched colorado before. Next time i will do some research before i make a post.

Google the nearby towns where you want to go. Go on google and get the numbers to the local chambers of commerce. They are more than willing to give out some local info to people that might come spend money in the area...sometimes they have good hunting info. Taxidermists are a wonderful source of knowledge for where good animals are coming from and herd numbers and whatnot. There should be a DOW office in the general region where you plan to hunt, and they are always more than willing to talk and so are the wild life biologists. The chamber of commerce can tell you about accomidations in the area for camping and hotels and stuff like that, even where to eat and do laundry in the area. The DOW websight has an interactive map that you can see summer and winter ranges and activities of elk anywhere in the state. Find the area you want to hunt and play with the map a little. Muzzleloader season falls towards the middle of the month, so prepare for any sort of weather, especially warm weather...but you also have the moon phase to contend with, plus archery hunters that don't have to wear orange.

One fun trick is to contact an outfitter in the area and have them convinced that you're going to book a hunt after asking all the questions you have, then just say no thanks...lol

Bears are usually pretty active where elk are, so look into maybe getting an OTC with caps bear tag too...they are first come first served for a set number of licenses, and the muzzleloader season runs concurrent with elk

Last edited:
:W:Thanks for the info john, i will definitly call the chambers of commerce in 67. About your edited message, I was not trying to mock peoples mariatal status possibilities and quality there quality of life, as you put it.::confused: I was just wondering what was wrong, that would make you so mad at my post. I do apreciate the last post, thanks for the info! Next time I post I will keep some of your advise in mind.

Back