Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

MT tag, early season goat hair

MTLivin

Hi all,

Im pretty new to the forum but read over most goat posts here after drawing the MT unit 323 tag this year, this seems like a great place to get good info! I made a 3 day scouting trip over the 4th and saw a lot of goats, most in pretty nasty cliffs that would be rappelling access only. Hoping they will move out of the cliffs a bit more this fall!

My question is how early is too early to shoot a billy? I will likely get a pedestal mount if I'm lucky enough to punch out, full body is just too much $$ at the moment. What is the hair like in early September? I know the later the better, but this tag could be a death march in late October-November on an early snow year.

I waited for better hair last year, never got my goat as early snow shut me down in 330. Hindsight I would go get my goat early, be a bit more choosy and the second one.

In that unit, you are taking a gamble if you wait too long. Some years, you would be fine. Some years, not fine.

Hair in early September is not even close to what it is in November. But, they are still an amazing animal, even in the early season. Good luck.

I killed my goat on Oct 1 and the hair was nice. I'd try to get at least toward the last week of Sept. if you can.

I waited for better hair last year, never got my goat as early snow shut me down in 330. Hindsight I would go get my goat early, be a bit more choosy and the second one.

Stories like this and pictures like crittergetter was posting last year scare the hell out of me. I'm planning on shooting a short haired billy in t-shirt weather.

I killed this goat the first week of the season last year in the Cabinets I was carrying my bow on a scouting trip and couldn't pass on the chance to take one with an arrow. The long hair is great, but I never thought that I would ever have a chance at one with a bow. I am very happy and proud of my mount. Never mind the fact that I am 64 years old with 4 by-passes and 7 stents in my heart!!!

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 335
Thanks guys, My plan will be to get after it hard starting in mid september, get to elk hunt a bit this way too. The guys who kill goats in November on foot have my respect for sure!

Agree with Gerald. I killed mine mid sept and the hair was pretty short. I'd wait till oct 1 or so.

Hi all,

Im pretty new to the forum but read over most goat posts here after drawing the MT unit 323 tag this year, this seems like a great place to get good info! I made a 3 day scouting trip over the 4th and saw a lot of goats, most in pretty nasty cliffs that would be rappelling access only. Hoping they will move out of the cliffs a bit more this fall!

My question is how early is too early to shoot a billy? I will likely get a pedestal mount if I'm lucky enough to punch out, full body is just too much $$ at the moment. What is the hair like in early September? I know the later the better, but this tag could be a death march in late October-November on an early snow year.

MT, I have been blessed to hunt 323 twice for goats. IIRC, my harvest dates were Oct 9 and 16. Hair was good on both. Have a great hunt and share the trip. congrats.....

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back