Mt Spring Black Bear

NV_ARCH3R

I thought I would try my hand at a spring MT Black Bear hunt. It was recommended I try the last week of May, but with the easy winter and warming up so quick thought I might want to move that up a week or two. Any thoughts??? Looking at Southwest area West of I15 South of Butte.

You might want to move it up even more. I friend who has hunted bears in MT for over 30 years, and it is his #1 species to hunt says May 13th is a magical time for bears. Certainly there are puts and takes to that date, but with over 30 years of experience in SW MT he says that is your best bet.

This year, it could be even earlier.

There are already black bears out. I'd say on a regular year shoot for first week in May. I'd still say early May will be great hunting.

Check with the USFS in the area your going to hunt for road closures due to soft roads and the travel plan.
Good luck,
Dan

This year's all messed up, and the bears are out way ahead of schedule. I've been able to turn up bears two of the three times I've gone out looking already. If I didn't have to work on Wednesday I'd be trying very hard to fill my tag.

March 27-
bear1_zpshrxofdjc.jpg

bear2_zps6v6uxntz.jpg

March 29-
bear3_zpss5zadatq.jpg

bear4_zpsyprdycq1.jpg

Last edited:
Bears

I have killed one in late May and last year i got one the day before easter April 17. 2 days into the season. I have heard of many different bear sightings so far this year but have talked to a couple biologist and bear engagement biologist and they say that the weather hasnt affected bears coming out too early to much. a couple of them still have yet to even see one they told me. Over these last few years of really getting into bear hunting I just cant help myself but to get excited to get out and start lookin for good bruins. the goal this year is one with a stick and string so we will see how it goes.
That middle week in May for some reason is pretty magic though. But my most successful time in seeing multiple bears is Memorial Day Weekend (must be all the campers and bbqs going that weekend.)
Good luck to all this season and post some pictures!

Back