MT Senator race: Public Lands

I envy my Montana friends for having the luxury of being a one issue voter. In most of the rest of the country, we’re in a battle for the values of this great nation. Here’s an example:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattv...tion-it-was-just-a-way-to-start-a-co-n2533619

There is a battle going on in Montana as well. Check out what "diversity" at the University of Montana means.

http://newstalkkgvo.com/partisan-letter-from-democrats-castigate-students-for-voting-gop/

The truth is that neither candidate is anti-gun rights, so its a non issue in this race. However, one candidate is pro transfer/anti-conservation while the other is not.

It was not my intent to compare the two, just to clarify that an often cited belief on this forum that the 2nd amendment is safe from meddling is simply not the case. Each of us may weigh PL vs 2ndA differently, but lawyers on the left and the right understand that the 2nd amendment is far from settled and could flip quite fast.

Really appreciate your response thanks for the deep dive. If you have a second at some point, and you could send a PM if it's too off topic for this thread, but I have a pretty diverse group of friends and I feel like my buddies on the left are always screaming about Roe and on the right about the Heller/ the 2nd A, ideologies do you think one is more likely to be overturned than another? Conservatives currently have the majority, does that mean Roe could quickly change, and if so then I would think the 2nd A is safe for at least an election cycle.

I'm just trying to reconcile the fact that most of my friends vote one way or another based on these and other very important, although what seem to me kinda settled issues, when there are lots of unsettled and/or more imminent issues at stake.

"In my view all constitutional rights have limits and responsibilities" my view as well, which gets me in hot water with guys like Gomer who per comment above, which may be sarcastic and/or hyperbolic, seem to think any law that limits gun rights is bad or an "erosion of the 2nd". Sure CA has some really ridiculous laws, but there is no reason any non-LEO should be walking around downtown Denver open carrying a long gun, concealed carry sure that's fine and makes sense to me. I'm fully behind universal background checks including private transfer, definitely need to figure out what to do in the case of inheritance, gifts, ect. but having been an estate executor having to do background checks before distributing dads guns doesn't seem like that big a deal considering all the other hoops you have to jump through during the estate process. I'm not familiar with the WA law, but lots of laws are worded poor, I mean regulations about when you have to cut your hunting tag and where to put it on the animal vary state to state and sometimes make zero sense, but that doesn't mean I don't think you should have to validate your tag and secure it to your harvest.

3855WIN, I feel the same way other than it strikes me as closed minded and isolationist rather than a luxury. Perhaps it is just the result of not having to worry about their constitutional rights their entire life but that's going to change as more and more folks from Cali move to Mt.

The idea that it takes a constitutional amendment to take away our 2nd amendment rights is idealistic. They can and have been significantly infringed in several states already, and the SCOTUS has refused to take on many 2nd amendment cases. Justice Thomas has been very vocal in his criticism of the court for treating the 2nd as a second class amendment due to the refusals.

Mt residents have every right to elect the senator of their choice but because their decision affects more than just Mt residents I wish they would consider a bigger picture.

I doubt you meant it to come across this way, but that is a very arrogant comment, implying that MT residents don't consider the bigger picture; they do consider the bigger picture. We might have different life experiences that paint a different "bigger picture" than your life experiences paint for you. Part of why America is the greatest country in the world.

If you view folks in other states as close-minded and isolationists because their life experiences and priorities provide a different perspective than yours, I suggest you might want to think about using the term "closed minded" when describing others.

Your vote for a Senator in VA affects more than just VA residents, but unlike your comment above, I surely don't expect you to vote for a VA Senators for any reason other than your own priorities.

Perhaps it is just the result of not having to worry about their constitutional rights their entire life but that's going to change as more and more folks from Cali move to Mt.
Those worries are shared by Montanans as well. The divisive issues regarding 2nd Amendment rights, abortion, Citizens United decision ramifications, and a host of others contentiously and continuously debated across the country are similarly concerning to Montanans. However, it's not the "Cali's" lately who are creating the angst. It is primarily right wing politicians who have frustrated the state during the legislative sessions and who are elevated to the national level and obviously don't regard the public lands and pristine last best places in Montana as worthy of protecting and preserving. The prominent attitude of these folks is to fall back on the old perception of the frontier in that the resources of the Treasure State are there to be exploited and extracted ... so what's the problem with a road across the spine of the Snowy Mountains if it means more money?
This attitude seemingly ignores the upward trending economical impact of now the greatest driver, tourism.

The "redness" of the attitude perplexes me in that I often wonder why these folks even live in Montana and face the weather, travel, taxation, and other challenges here, when they don't seem to really value the public lands nor enjoy the outdoors ... unless motorized and coddled in their recreation.

Obama DID come after your guns, he just didn't have enough Jon Testers to make it happen.
Joined Oct 2018

Yeah, you really understand Tester and the issues that face us...

Rob G and BigFin, you are right. I don't fully understand the issues you face, my opinions are based on my life experiences, and Mt residents must make their own choices. My observation is that Democrats vote in lock step with Chuck Schumer on all major issues. In general, sportsmen and women support more conservative positions rather than the liberal positions the Democrats support. (Tester voted against Gorsuch, against Kavanaugh, against the tax cut, etc). That's why I can't make any sense of the support for Tester that I see reflected here. It appears based on only the public lands issue so it's not a big leap to think Mt is not looking at the big picture. That doesn't make it correct, only a reasonable conclusion from one body of evidence.

Rob G and BigFin, you are right. I don't fully understand the issues you face, my opinions are based on my life experiences, and Mt residents must make their own choices. My observation is that Democrats vote in lock step with Chuck Schumer on all major issues. In general, sportsmen and women support more conservative positions rather than the liberal positions the Democrats support. (Tester voted against Gorsuch, against Kavanaugh, against the tax cut, etc). That's why I can't make any sense of the support for Tester that I see reflected here. It appears based on only the public lands issue so it's not a big leap to think Mt is not looking at the big picture. That doesn't make it correct, only a reasonable conclusion from one body of evidence.

Sounds like you got your info on Tester from DJT. Not a good place for factual info.

The factual info is that Tester voted for Sotomayor and Kagan. And voted against Kavanaugh and Gorsuch. How can anyone defend that? I have no problem if a Senator votes yes for all appointments or a rare occasional no. But what we are seeing is a supposed free thinker marching in lock step with DC Dems. The Kavanaugh hearing was a shit show. A few decent Dems such as Tester could’ve called BS on it, but did not. Makes me think they aren’t decent.

The factual info is that Tester voted for Sotomayor and Kagan. And voted against Kavanaugh and Gorsuch. How can anyone defend that? I have no problem if a Senator votes yes for all appointments or a rare occasional no. But what we are seeing is a supposed free thinker marching in lock step with DC Dems. The Kavanaugh hearing was a shit show. A few decent Dems such as Tester could’ve called BS on it, but did not. Makes me think they aren’t decent.

Your understanding of how the Kavanaugh vote went down isn't complete had you known that Tester reached out to Kavanaugh before his vote took place. Kavanaugh wouldn't respond.

Isolationism is within today's extreme partisan world of politics.

Your understanding of how the Kavanaugh vote went down isn't complete had you known that Tester reached out to Kavanaugh before his vote took place. Kavanaugh wouldn't respond.
Nothing to respond to other than Democrat fake news. Tester was just making a weak excuse. He sold out to the national party. That’s reality.

Here's a crazy thought guys. Not matter how the vote goes down today, how about tomorrow we all double down on support for public lands, hunting, the 2nd amendment, and whatever wildlife/conservation group you choose to support? Deal?

Here's a crazy thought guys. Not matter how the vote goes down today, how about tomorrow we all double down on support for public lands, hunting, the 2nd amendment, and whatever wildlife/conservation group you choose to support? Deal?

Been doing this for at least 30 years and most everyone I know also. Nothing new to the folks I know. Feel free to jump in.

Dear Mississippi...
Lindsey Graham also voted for Sotomayor and Kagan, and Tester still had an A- rating years after doing so. The far right Republicans have a serious problem with supporting dark money and spying on their citizens and until that is fixed Tester is going to find conflict there. He is proud of those stances and the question is why would you support a guy like Rosendale who supports dark money and spying on our citizens?

Been doing this for at least 30 years and most everyone I know also. Nothing new to the folks I know. Feel free to jump in.

I wouldn't call mocking people with second amendment concerns, doubling down on protecting the second amendment Tony. Think about it.

I wouldn't call mocking people with second amendment concerns, doubling down on protecting the second amendment Tony. Think about it.

Shows how little you know, which I all ready knew. Haven't you at any FWP meetings Paul, when are you going to get in the game?

Can I call you to make the trip to Helena when the session starts? We are always looking for volunteers to testify on sportsmens issues.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back