MT Pronghorn - A Saga of Ice and Fire

Ben Lamb

Today is day one.

Not sure how long I'll have internet because in Helena, charter sucks and they've been down most of the morning. This may be my last update for today, as in the west, our services aren't very good and we live in the wild.

Day one started great. Slept in until 6:45. My wife went down to make some coffee and that's when it all went south.

"Ben, get down here!" She screamed.

I thought, what did I do now? She only uses that voice when I forget to clear out the sink and there's some leftover meat that's no longer smelling good.

"There's a leak in the ceiling," she replied when I came down.

An old piece of galvanized pipe was leaking due to a remodel we're having done upstairs. I started my second cup of coffee when the plumber said "water's off until I get it isolated and fixed." No morning poop in my own house.

We went grocery shopping and I picked up the essentials for hunting: Pastrami, Sriracha flavored nuts, summer sausage and string cheese. I had to use the facilities at Albertsons. I recommend these facilities. Clean, well light and a high flow toilet made for a pleasant experience.

We got back to the House just in time to catch the plumber, who had isolated the leak and stopped the flow of water from dripping into the kitchen. Luckily, no water pooled and the insulation absorbed most of it so no harm, no foul.

I'm off to grab the camper and fill the propane tanks and then head out of town. Only 2 hours behind schedule. Luckily, I was able to find a sausage egg & cheese sandwich to calm my nerves.

4 days in Charlie Russell Country and to see if we can put this guy (on the right) down and not whiff the easy shot like last year.

10694268_713585508724480_2525217579876821824_o.jpg

I'll try to update as things progress, but I doubt I'll have a good signal, and truthfully, I'm not sure you'll want to witness my ability to fall down on state and block management land.

We went grocery shopping and I picked up the essentials for hunting: Pastrami, Sriracha flavored nuts, summer sausage and string cheese.

You gotta try Wasabi & Soy Sauce Almonds! They're definitely up there on the list of salty hunting snacks.

Remember...Never trust a person who takes a bite out of string cheese instead of peeling it apart like God meant it to be ;)

I've picked up the last few remaining necessities - A new pair of shoelaces, camelback reservoir and water bottle, as well as some new superfeet insoles and batteries for the camera remote.

What hell it would be to not have batteries for the camera remote.This hunt, only a few hours old and nowhere near where I'm actually going to hunt, is already testing my nerves. I hope I chose the right insolves, otherwise all is lost.

More as I can find the strength & signal.

I wish you would have told me you needed some Summer Sausage. I have a freezer full to share with my hunting buddies. Good luck up there, we will be about 30 miles NE of you.

You're playing gastronomic roulette Ben, don't poop yourself out of a good goat.

Hey now, he's at the taxidermist. I think that dump shall forever be known as "The Warning Shot."

Good luck Ben! Looking forward to dead buck pictures.

Last edited:
Made it to the unit around 5. Dropped the camper on some state land and went scouting. Spotted a small herd with what looked like a decent buck on a BMA. Without a spotter though, it makes it tough to tell. I should have just bought the damned thing.

Windy & rainy today. Lots of truck time scoping the area out, not seeing much moving in this weather though. Hoping it dies down soon for an evening walk.

3 more days to go.

Made it to the unit around 5. Dropped the camper on some state land and went scouting. Spotted a small herd with what looked like a decent buck on a BMA. Without a spotter though, it makes it tough to tell. I should have just bought the damned thing.

Windy & rainy today. Lots of truck time scoping the area out, not seeing much moving in this weather though. Hoping it dies down soon for an evening walk.

3 more days to go.
Ann and I each got one this morning. They are already broken down and cooling in the garage fridge. Whatcha waiting for? ;)

Last edited:
Found the herd on Block Management in the same spot as friday night. Made the 1.5 mile stalk with the grace of a clown but got to 500 yards. Rather than sit and wait to them to feed towards me, I tried to sneak closer by backing down the hill and hooking to the left. I closed 200 yards before the jackrabbit boleted in front of me. I stopped and waited, then moved 20 yards then looked up. 25 pronghorn in a little dip watching me. Before i could set, they bolted, but with the herd buck standing there and looking. He wasn't what I was there for but i followed them over the rise.

The 4 mule deer buck were jerks about the whole thing and broke as well. I crested the ridge and saw my goats, 2 miles away on headed for Canada.

On the walk back, I did meet a salamander and rattlesnake. Now a ham sammich and propel before getting back after it.

You guys who shot your bucks on opening day are jerks, there I said it.

2 more days.

Buck down & in the truck. Checked out a piece of state trust land and they were there. 2 bucks and 3 does. I executed a 3/4 mile stalk, set up on top of an old reservoir and promptly shot the nicest one in the ass. The second round broke it's neck. Bad shooting on my part.

Ended up being about a 350 yard shot. Quartered, gutlessed, caped and packed back in the truck right at sundown.

Pics tomorrow after i get home. He's not a booner, but he'll do nicely.

Atta boy Ben! Did you get snowed on? We were in a winter wonderland this morning.

Back