MT Moose Unit 323

kylmt

Hello,

Given the wealth of experience on this site I would appreciate any advice on bull moose hunting tips in unit 323 southwest of Jackson, MT. Also if you have chased them with your bow I would be interested in any suggestions on what works or does not work. Thanks in advance. It seems like a great tag and I want to do it justice.

Also if you have chased them with your bow I would be interested in any suggestions on what works or does not work.

For bowhunting, try slowly stalking into shooting range using the terrain and available cover while keeping the wind in your face.

I had a cow moose tag in 301 just to the south of your unit a couple years ago. The only thing I found is they sometimes can be hard to locate early season. I ended up waiting until first week of November and saw Moose all over the place, in 2 days we saw 5 bulls and a couple cows. I talk to the Bio early in the season after 1 week of hunting and not seeing anything and he told me to be patient as they will start to hang in the willow bottoms more frequently later in the season. Now you can take all this with a grain of salt because I've seen some dandy bulls posted here that were shot early season too.

Go talk to a few of the ranchers. Hopefully you have done some scouting before now...season starts in 9 days. There are some nice bulls in the area, but the population isn't nearly what it used to be. Good luck!

Check out the high meadows, there are usually some moose in them. Used to be pretty decent elk hunting in that area as well.

They can be damn hard to spot in timber or any cover, give all areas plenty of time with the glass at all times of the day as they can move late and also can be out in the middle of the day. I found with the lower 48 animals there probably is a few more moose around then what you actually turn up. Covering a lot of country and giving everything just a quick once over probably only scratches the surface on the local population as for a big animal they can stay under the radar.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back