MT Fishing this weekend

fargoflyfish

After seeing mtmiller's photo on a similarly titled thread, my wife and I have decided to do a little weekend trip this upcoming weekend. We are planning to do a day hike with some flyfishing and excellent views. It doesn't need to be a stream with huge trout, but something to keep my wife's interest so that she enjoys the day. We are planning on the red lodge area since it is fairly close to our home in ND.

Mtmiller, those pics are beautiful! Is that a reasonable day hike? Would you mind PMing me where that is? I would have a lot more luck getting my wife to go on these trips with scenery like that.

Does anybody else have any day hikes with excellent scenery and good fishing that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks

Last edited:
I doubt you could fish all your options up there in a lifetime...

check your inbox...I sent you some suggestions.

My family and I fished Rock creek out of Red Lodge in July.Drive up the forest service road towards the Pass and have some fun.Its small water but holds plenty of fish,...most people are more interested in putt putting on their atvs here.

My family and I fished Rock creek out of Red Lodge in July.Drive up the forest service road towards the Pass and have some fun.Its small water but holds plenty of fish,...most people are more interested in putt putting on their atvs here.

if you hike a 1/4 mile up any trail you are in wilderness area and there are no ATV's. The ATV's just stick to the trails near the highway.

Another creek to try is East Rosebud.We hit that on the way home from the Beartooth canoe trip/Rock creek fishing.A couple of good trail heads here,dramatic views and again great small water fly fishing.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. My wife and I had a great time. We decided to hike the westfork trail of rock creek west of RedLodge. We walked back about four miles and found some great scenery. My wife also managed to catch her first trout on a fly rod. Overall it was a great weekend. It was my first time hiking into the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness and I can't wait to get back.

On the way home, we drove the Beartooth pass. It was pretty cool how unique the plateau area is. We are already planning our next trip to this area.

Thanks again for the advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back