Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Mt Elk

I see Big Fin signed in. Must be good news?

Mrs. Fin signs in with his password to keep an eye on you guys while he is out hunting. He passed on four bulls yesterday. Guess they did not provide the shot he wanted for TV.

Passed on four bulls. Dang! I've been on 2 elk hunts and haven't even seen ONE bull. Well, I saw 2 elk last fall but couldn't make out their heads. Don't know if there will be a third hunt or not.

I'm now signed in. Came home to avoid the big storm.

Will head back in when it passes and give it three more days of hard hunting. Lots of people in the hills this weekend, enjoying what was more like fishing weather than elk hunting weather.

Did you ever think you'd ever say something like that?

Nope. Could have never imagined TV being part of the consideration, maybe mayhem, that I would be part of the equation when I am hunting.

But, the biggest bull was standing slightly quartering to me at 375 yards. The three smaller bulls were slowly moving across a saddle that would hopefully take the entire group closer to us, providing a better shot. So, I deferred and tried to move closer and set up for a dead certain shot.

Short version, once they got to a bigger opening, they put it in "swift and fast" and my first opportunity was the best shot of the encounter. Felt good with the bipod set up. Probably make the shot 90% of the time with that rifle. I spent every day last week at the range shooting in conditions very similar to that. But, I try to make sure both the camera and I are comfortable and 100% certain before pulling the trigger.

So, the bulls are still up on the mountain, waiting for me to find them again on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. Better to pass and talk to the camera as to why and what was happening, than to feel rushed and then have to explain why I didn't wait.

Three more days in MT to tag a buck and a bull, then headed to Colorado for a week of fun.

Back