MT Elk - new to wall tent hunting

Can you heat a tent with one of the big buddy heaters? Or do you need two, or what?

I have a 12x12 tent and when it's that cold we need 2 going, put them in two corners of the tent diagonal to each other.
Using a good fly will help keep some heat in and I also have a -25 sleeping bag, that doesn't hurt ;)

Thanks all, we got the 16x20 from Reliable Tent as they were $200 off, with frame included over normal price and we read a lot about getting a bigger tent than u think u need, we are working on several friends to join us, they were going to go this year then MT upped the ante for a NR tag, so they dropped out.....oh well for now the 2 of us will have all the room we need, partitioned sleeping area sounds like a smart idea

Also, seems like bringing at least some precut dry wood along might not be a bad idea if we show up after a 7 day rain or snow, something to get er going until other split wood dries out a bit, damn i think we are going to need a semi for this hunt

So, Hunt and St Hubert, you two got me onto the purchase of a stack robber. I considered it last year though didn't follow through with the purchase. I'm deffinately going to test it out to verify the draft does not get hindered through the routing and that mesh looking spark arrestor. I've actually widened the spark arrestor holes in a previous one I had for the top of the pipe. Ended up getting rid of it as it seemed to soot up more then I liked - felt I was restricting the flow too much...

The stack robber arrestor is down at the base and appears to be removable... so should be a simple tapping to clear any buildup and being adjacent to the stove - I should not have any issues with moisture... Deffinately going to test her out before.

Here is a pic of the stack robber for anyone interested.
KNI-CO is 100% made in U.S.A. and I've had an opportunity to speak with them. GREAT PEOPLE!

http://www.kni-co.com/index.shtml

stack%20robber_300wide.gif

Oh and a side note on wood... stay away from cutting downed wood... Go for the standing trees that have no green... dead trees. In fact, I believe it is illegal to chop a tree with any green on her, less proper logging type permits. Get a basic understanding of the trees in your area to know your best choice for wood.

Also, seems like bringing at least some precut dry wood along might not be a bad idea if we show up after a 7 day rain or snow, something to get er going until other split wood dries out a bit, damn i think we are going to need a semi for this hunt

I got a postcard in the mail from Montana FWP last week that said not to bring firewood in from out of state. Listed all the nasty things that can make the trip in on firewood and how bad it was to transport it across state lines. Maybe line someone up in the state that could have some dry wood for you if you need it.

3 weeks and counting Sytes, will let you know how that stack robber goes. We fired up that stove, smoked a little like you said and had the pipe on there, all is well. Well have to keep it stoked for the 16x20 but she will d fine, cannot wait!

new wall tent

Going to blow my own horn hear, but i came up with a great wall tent that i think gives u the best of both worlds between the cabelas and the traditional wall tent. See what you think. I am want some honest feedback as I want to continue to improve. www.elkmountaintents.com

Covering your tent with 4ml plastic is a great idea. I covered my wall tents with it to not only deal with snow and rain, but it also helps hold the heat inside too. Stretch it taunt.

If you want to go to the trouble and have the room in your truck, you might want to try this... Put a plastic tarp on the ground, then some carpet. I go by carpet stores and check to see if they have any used (carpet they pulled up) or roll ends they want to get rid of. This will help insulate the floor a little for bare feet.

Good luck on your hunt.

Wow - be extremely careful with a propane heater in the tent. CO can build up and kill you. This isn't one of the California warning labels, it is REAL and nearly happened to some hunters a few years ago: http://www.krtv.com/news/mt-hunters-tell-story-of-carbon-monoxide-poisoning/#_

What I do is get the warmest sleeping bag possible - they are cheap if you don't get a backpacking one. I think I paid $65 for mine at Sportsman's Warehouse and it is lined with cloth so it is very comfortable. Then in the morning I fire up a big "bug eye" propane heater (like http://www.agrisupply.com/double-eye-propane-heater/p/35763/) and it takes the bite off the cold pretty quick.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back