MT Elk - new to wall tent hunting

huntfishcamp

hello all, a little background leading to my question: in 2010 my buddy and I went on our first elk hunt. We started out hiking into the Lee Metcalf near Ennis, MT and quickly realized we were in way over our heads, being passed by horses and snickering hunters. On opening day we hiked out (6 hrs) and drove to the Beaverhead Natl Forest and camped, and on day 6 finally found a nice legal bull thanks to the snow (pic is my first elk!). All we can hope for again is snow for 2011 opener. Otherwise, wow it will be interesting.

Since we are officially hooked now, we each paid the huge NR fee and we are heading back, this time with a new 16x20 canvas tent and the works, we decided this route as last year tried to be hard core but we froze in a small dome tent with a 2' snow storm one night. The drive off the mountain to a hotel every day seemed senseless, and $$, so we took that money and put it into a wall tent. We are in our 30's so we hope get decades use out of it..

My questions are, being new to the wall tent way of hunting, does anyone have any advise on 'must have' or 'nice to have' gear, we did buy a chainsaw and some decent cots, and a wood stove. Other than that we are pretty green on the whole wall tent thing, but excited as hell to try it out. Thanks in advance!!!!

Last edited:
Hey why yes he did, I'll have to remind myself to thank him the next time I see him, oh wait, its you, hey thanks!

Wall tents are great with a good stove-only use dry dead wood for stove. You will need some type of plastic covering over tent-plastic or plastic tarp to allow the snow to slide off and it also gives an air pocket for insulation. Some type of flooring is also nice-bring newspaper to help get the flue heated up and to get the fire going. You may need spark arrestor for stove. I'm assuming you are truck camping.
good luck

hey thanks Muleguy, yes truck camping for us, and we bought a 16x20 cheap grommeted plastic tarp for the floor, not sure if thats needed or will work well or not, will have to get something for the roof. Good avice on bringing newspaper, anyone ever burn fire logs or charcoal or something that burns a bit longer? Especially at night,,,

As you are new to wall tenting, would recommend against the stove, jack, etc etc. Much can go wrong and sour the trip quick. If you know what yer doing, then great. Otherwise, opt for a Mr Heater / propane. Second, clothes line for drying yer gear out. Use a tarp for the floor. If you have the 'works' then you should be set.

Do not burn charcoal-coal yes charcoal no-very dangerious
I don't know about logs-they say they burn real hot and you will need a heavy duty stove for them and coal-you should stay with wood and add thru night . You should set stove up at home and try it out first.

Those fire logs clog the pipes and arrestor. Been there done that and recommend what muleguy says : set it up at home and dial her in. Use dead, dry wood. Make sure you have a good stove, or might as well leave it home. imo

You may want to reconsider the plastic tarp for a floor and use it for your roof and get something else for floor-you will tire of trying to walk on a noisy,cold tarp that will not lay down. astro turf or just buy a ground cloth made for tents-you will be glad you sprung for the extra expense if staying for extended stay.

Thanks muleguy and putm2sleep, i guess by the 'works' i meant the frame, tent, sod cloth, and stove accesories. I was also thinking a Mr. buddy propane heater might not be a bad idea as well. Our tent doesnt have plastic for a window, just a velcro cover on inside w/ a screen for a window, this ever a problem with rain getting in for anyone?

only trying to help here-leave mr buddy at home and put in extra stick of wood instead-propane only adds moisture to inside tent with little or no heat-stick with your wood stove-take along some stiff wire to hang your wet clothes from top of tent to dry them out.

Its all good info and very appreciated thanks, agreed adding moisture is not good for drying things out

I find painter canvas tarps are great for the floor... And YES poly tarps get slick as snot when in snow and tracking a bit in...

Wood - dry and not additive type special fire logs as that will build up a lot of soot in the pipe.

Definately do a dry run with the stove... I find loading wood inside the tent - behind or on the side of the stove with minmal 1-2 feet of distance helps keep the wood ready to burn as it dries it out and makes a nice place to prop the boots and socks for a quick dry - just not too long :) Having that newspaper / thin cut kindlinig is very helpful especially if the red coals run out at night and need to get her rolling again.

A Damper is really nice! Don't ever close a damper completely as it will smoke you out. though you will find in your testing how much - little draft is necessary to keep the smoke drafting correctly as well as a spark arrestor / top for the pipe as that will dramatically reduce smke mixing with the wet and clogging up the pipe. Also the damper will enable the heat to remain much longer over night when your not able to attend to it (sleep).

I use a tarp as an extension to the tent for housing additional wood, chainsaw - (bring bar oil!) cooler / beer ( :) ) and other essential not necessary to stay in the tent or truck. Take 3 pecker poles and form an extention off the tent.

I have an aluminum long S shaped hook that I hang from the internal peak frame pole... it has about 2 feet in length - to use for hanging a lantern from - far enough from the roof of the tent and accessible to control.

Wall tent camping is great and makes a world of a difference to the enjoyment and comfort of the woods! Best of success in your adventure~!

Last edited:
Just curious here, as i have no experience of this type of hunting, can you just erect the tent anywhere on the public lands no matter how big it is?
So i assume you use it as a base and return at the end of the hunt each day, what is to stop the tent from being stolen?
Sorry if this hijacks your thread, i don't mean to.
Cheers
Richard

Have used peices of carpet in past on floor. Used or new remanants. Also a boot cleaner slab is nice if you have room so as to not track in if possible. Also keep stove about 1 foot from anything burnable in all directions.

Last edited:
Wow all good info, thanks! Sooo excited to get out there, and yes, there will be evening barley sodas, found out last year at 9k' u gotta watch out tho :). Devon deer I never considered the thought of someone stealing our tent, it'll take some work on their part and gotta believe anyone in those mtns during elk season would not be messing around, but who knows, not going to sweat it though. Most natl forests have designated camp spots, u cannot camp just anywhere unless you are in a designated wilderness area (I think). I like the carpet remnant idea, craigslist has all kinds of it for FREE around here.

I should have mentioned as well... When wet conditions, I found it useful to check the top / spark arrestor for soot buildup every other day and possibly every day when really wet. The moisture and smoke can really build up some blockage ~ especially when using a spark arrestor - those holes can clog up quick.... I stopped using a spark arrestor for that reason. The top (rain / snow cover) of the pipe should have more then enough open space to FULLY draft your smoke - it should not feel restricted as if the smoke is trying to push out.

Last edited:
make sure you've got something under your sleeping bag, and on top of the cot, when you lay down you compress the fill on your bag, and there's not much there to keep you warm. I've used open cell foam, closed cell foam, and thermarest type mattresses, makes all the difference in the world.

A couple of things you might consider beings you can drive to your camp.

Bring a small shovel to put a couple of inches of dirt on the inside bottom of your stove. This will help from burning out the bottom of your stove from all the hot red hot ashes and extend the life of your stove by years. Burn your stove and pipe a couple hours at home to get rid of any smells that may or may not come off.

Buy yourself a stool seat and lid at Wally World. Bring along enough parachute cord to lash two down lodge pole limbs between 2 trees on opposite side of trees. Tie the seat with lid down to the two lodge pole, dig a 2 ft. hole beneath the seat. The only thing else that you need to put there is 2 empty coffee cans with removable lids.. Use one to put a roil of TP and the other to put a can of Baby Wipes. Life will be good. Refill the hole with original dirt when you leave. You might consider putting this set up about 50 yds away from tent without a lot of blow down timber in the path.

Make sure you cut 4 times more kindling/starter wood than you think you could use and bring a couple bottles of liquid WD40, preferable not aerosol. When you're ready to start a fire sprinkle the liquid WD40 over some kindling, let set for a minute or 2 for the vapors to evaporate, put in stove and one match should do the trick. After you get the hang of it you can even use the liquid WD40 after the kindling is put in the stove if you are POSITIVE there are NO hot ashes remaining.

Never bring one lantern - murphy always rears his head. Extra mantles are cheap insurance.

Make sure you know the bear rules where you are going to be camping. Lot's of areas are now requiring you to have ALL foods, and a lot of personal hygiene (Toothpaste, after shave, aerosol shaving cream etc) at least 100 yds from camp and hung in trees 10' high and 4' from each tree when sleeping or no one tending camp. There are also rules on where you can store quarters or boned out meat if brought back to camp.

Bring a scoop shovel for snow removal. You can use it to clear off your tent area and also to keep your entry way cleaned up after tent is up.

Lots of beetle infected trees that are standing dead in a lot of parts of Montana. Try to pick a spot where any dead trees are not going to have any effect on your tent when that 50 mph wind gust wakes you up in the middle of the night.

Some of the best nights in life have been spent in a wall tent - some say it's the most fun you can have with your pants on.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back