Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

MT Elk Archery Pressure

Bowhunt_406

I am a resident in Montana that loves bowhunting elk. I grew up doing it with my dad and unfortunately he doesn’t hunt with me anymore and I’m trying to find my own elk spots. I’ve been doing a lot of escouting and reading books about elk habitat this winter. I think I’ve found some possible spots in HD 329 and 321. How is the hunter density during archery season? I’ve never found much interest in chasing bulls with a rifle so the late season pressure doesn’t concern me much. If anyone has any insight it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I hunted 329 last year in rifle and I thought it would be a super cool spot to bowhunt this season. Pretty far from me but there was so much sign it was crazy we didn’t see any elk.

There is no such thing as “roadless areas”. You might hike 3 miles and brappppPpppppp here comes a vehicle through the trees. It’s messed up lol

Hunted in 2021 from Sep 12-29 and the pressure was pretty good. Left for another hunt and made it back to MT for Oct. 17, the last day of archery. Saw no people in the woods that day, but 9 bulls. Cow called into 35 yards of a couple feeding bulls and let an arrow go with fading light. Hit a limb and clean missed... Never saw a bull once the rifle season opened. Left with a cow...

The pressure is pretty high in both units. Much of it is guys riding around all day on ATVs, or hiking ridges and stopping to bugle every 100 yards as they stand in the wide open. As others have said, there are many roads and trails, but you can get away from a lot of the pressure if you are willing to brave some deadfall or climb places others aren’t.

The pressure is pretty high in both units. Much of it is guys riding around all day on ATVs, or hiking ridges and stopping to bugle every 100 yards as they stand in the wide open. As others have said, there are many roads and trails, but you can get away from a lot of the pressure if you are willing to brave some deadfall or climb places others aren’t.
Totally agree with this post. And I don't think it's just a particular HD. It's everywhere. Spoke with our GW last year for our region and he said the last 2 years were the worst he's ever seen. Said that MT is selling way too many tags in his opinion and elk are way too over pressured. Traffic around our area is non stop. And as soon as guys feet hit the ground they start blowing calls.

To compete I actually mouted a hoochie momma into the sole of each boot, sounds like a whole herd this way, sounds real cool if i break into a jog

giphy.gif

To compete I actually mouted a hoochie momma into the sole of each boot, sounds like a whole herd this way, sounds real cool if i break into a jog
With the number of hardcore elite bowhunting bros channeling their inner Phelps and Corey Jacobsen and bugling every 15 seconds, I predict that the hoochie mama will come full circle. Pretty soon it will be the only way to call in a pressured bull.

With the number of hardcore elite bowhunting bros channeling their inner Phelps and Corey Jacobsen and bugling every 15 seconds, I predict that the hoochie mama will come full circle. Pretty soon it will be the only way to call in a pressured bull.
I happened into some things when my FIL died a couple weeks ago. One of those things was a Hoochie Mama. (He was a terrible elk hunter rest his soul). I was gonna throw it away or give it away. Maybe I'll put it up for bids. Pms work best. mtmuley

I happened into some things when my FIL died a couple weeks ago. One of those things was a Hoochie Mama. (He was a terrible elk hunter rest his soul). I was gonna throw it away or give it away. Maybe I'll put it up for bids. Pms work best. mtmuley
So, nobody wants this? Or are you too chicken to ask? mtmuley

I'll keep that in mind. It might come to that. You are first in line. If I have to pay more than $3.50, no promises. mtmuley
How about you can charge me $5 rental I will pick up, but if and when I send the hero shot of a bull with it I get $10.00 upon returning the call? Could set prices based on season dates and rut activity? 😀 could get lucrative

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back