MT District 455

rmyoung1

Anyone here an expert on Montana's District 455 (Beartooth WMA)? I've hunted the unit before, but would like to hear from anyone else who has experience hunting that country. I have a cow elk tag for the district that I would love to fill this fall. Thanks for the help.

From what I understand if you can get permission to hunt private land it's great my aunt and uncle have acreage over there, last hunting season they had 300 head of elk on it all season

I have hunted 455 quite a few times. I wouldn't say I am an expert, but I have been in on taking a few elk in there. I have a cow tag for that area this year as well. My niece is on her second deer tag for the unit and my brother had the deer tag two years ago. Drop me a PM and I would be happy to share what I know.

Some steep country, but fairly open. I finally drew a deer tag in there this year after a long time so I have been bumping around in there a little bit trying to figure out what the trophy potential for deer is. I haven't come across any elk yet but I don't have horses so I'm not getting very far back in there (also haven't been focused on them). I've also heard that there is not much for elk in there until late in the season but I don't know how true that is. For you guys chasing elk in there this year you can pm me if you want and I can give you my vehicle description so if you see me out there I can pass along any elk sightings I have.

Congrats on the deer tag. My brother has hunted the unit a little bit and come across some nice bucks. You should have a fun hunt. Best of luck and I'll send a PM. Would love to hear if you find elk during your hunt.

Thanks, my wife actually drew the tag the first year she put in and I was super excited, but, it was her tag and she doesn't enjoy suffering miles long death marches in the dark so she shot the first ok buck I found. It was literally a two hour hunt. Was a little bummed myself since I know I could have found a better one for her but she was excited so it was a good day. Answered your pm, don't hesitate to call before your hunt. I probably wont be in there much more until the season since I have a date with some elk in Sep (they'll laugh at me while I sit in the timber wondering why I can't get any closer than 90 yds) but I'll be in there a lot during the season. Hoping I can send some luck your way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back