NEW SITKA Ambient 75

MT Deer Tags filled

Ryan2388

What an awesome hunt I had. I got to my friends farm in Madison valley early and met other friends. Set up on a pivot wheel as cover before first light. It was cold like 0 degrees and snowing. At shooting time I had numerous doe's showing up and no bucks. I sat and waited, but this fat dry doe came out and I couldn't resist so I decided to take her. Dropped her in her tracks and went to work cleaning.

I sat the rest of the morning hoping for a late morning rutting buck. I found them on another farm nearby bedded. I know I would have a great chance in the evening that they would come out to feed in a field I could access. I went to Three Forks and got lunch to warm up. I came back and setup again on a pivot wheel for cover (works great). A small buck came out first for a while. Then deer after deer came out. I'm like yes, eventually bigger bucks must come out too. Nothing! I'm like what the rut is on because all the forkies are chasing. Then I see it.

One doe walking the fence line and two big bodies following, mature bucks. They fight, the bigger one sending the other packing across the field. The doe runs to the field and here he comes. Now granted at this time I have 20 deer just all around me at like 20 yards. I can't move or anything to get in position on the buck. He walks to about 15 yards from my left and I'm shaking so bad (buck fever) and all these deer around me. Every time he goes with the wind he smells something and backs off then comes back and on so on. Then he is almost smelling my pack lol that close. My doe scent spilled in my bag lol. I'm gripping my gun to control my excitement. After that he's had enough and starts moving with the doe's back up to the fence and when I get a chance after a minute I move my gun and shoot him at 25 yards. He runs about 50 more yards and falls over. The hunt is over and couldn't have had more fun. Not the biggest buck but mature and big body.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 861
Last edited:
Very nice. You guys who live in state that can get multiple deer tags are so lucky.It's been about 20 years since
we could draw a buck tag and a leftover doe tag here in NV. Those were the good old days.

Very nice. You guys who live in state that can get multiple deer tags are so lucky.It's been about 20 years since
we could draw a buck tag and a leftover doe tag here in NV. Those were the good old days.

Yes and I could actually buy 3 more doe tags if I wanted but I have enough meet in my freezer. Trying to knock down the whitetail numbers for mule deer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back