Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

MT deer question

Southern Elk

When I was in MT last November I saw some locals at a sporting good store buying deer B tags OTC. Can a non-resident do the same? Being able to bring home a 2nd deer would have been nice.

Yes, check your regs for your region in some of the 300s you can get up to 5 whitetail doe b tags.

I was hunting in a couple different districts around Ennis.

Yeh they would have been buying whitetail doe tags , and yes you (NR 's) can do same for $80. I myself usually get a B tag if available cuz traveling a long ways to hunt it's nice to bring home as much meat as possible

That is pretty awesome deal right there. Beings that I am a meat hunter when I get up there to do some hunting I know I will be spending the extra money to try and get another deer. Great question OP.

If I remember right in Eastern Montana you could get 2 whitetail doe tags over the counter but the mule deer doe tags there was a certain amount of tags available for each district.

Mule deer B tags are allocated on a quota basis. Whatever is left after the special drawings are sold OTC on a first-come first-serve basis. Sometimes they sell out quick. If there's a big surplus, you can often buy a number of them even into October.

Whitetail B tags are sold as a single region OTC tag. There is no quota, and they are not transferrable between regions. Some regions have done away with these recently after EHD and winterkill issues. Check the regs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back