MT "Cow Express"

Big O

Well I said on the Raghorn Express thread that I was in for a cow with my bow only. Not sure if I could go through with that if the time came, but I really didn't think twice. We have been lucky enough to tag out 7 for 7 with 5 bulls in the last two years in this spot in the rifle season, but have never hunted archery there until this year, so I thought I would be a little reluctant to shoot a cow, not even close.

Hunting was tough, hot & smokey. Elk were not where we thought, so we had to come up with plan B. We ended up hiking in about 3 miles to a spot a few miles away that we have never hunted, and slept under the stars for 4 days. Ended up finding alot of water, cover & green grass at about 8000', and elk.

I shot this girl at a water hole at 40 yards when she came in at 6:30pm with 11 of her girlfriends, no bull with them. Got her boned out and hauled to the truck in one shot out, thanks to the help of my 2 hunting buddies.

Saw a bunch of elk, with my buddies getting to full draw twice, but no release. Ended up seeing 2 different herd bulls withing a hundred yards that were massive, along with a single bull at 40 yards who was just as big along with a few smaller bulls.

Always a good time in the elk woods- good luck to all!

Attachments

• elk 2012 014.jpg
    elk 2012 014.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 560
  • elk 2012 023.jpg
    elk 2012 023.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 568
  • elk 2012 033.jpg
    elk 2012 033.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 554
Aint nothing wrong with a cow, we have 5 cow and 0 bull tags in the family this year. Better get at least one filled

Congrats Big O. I was going to shoot a cow this year too.It just happened my bull was the first elk I had an opportunity to shoot.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back