Caribou Gear

MT - Changes in Hunting Regs/Units/Seasons coming this month

Hank was the licensing bureau chief for over 10 years. Before that, he was the Chief Executive Officer of the Board of Outfitters.

He's not from the wildlife side.
Solid pick to work on behalf of Montana's wildlife.

So, the answer is, he just likes to use words he doesn't understand.

@Gerald Martin, set up a field trip and have Hank point out the reason's for his "conclusions" about what it is that makes him form the opinion elk are above biological carrying capacity ANYWHERE in Montana. Ask for specifics on habitat, plant communities, etc.

I've looked at professionally, hunted, and otherwise poked around most all the major mountain ranges and elk hunting areas in Montana my entire life...and I call BS that there are areas that are even CLOSE to biological carrying capacity for elk.

Does Hank or did He even look at his own "data" on current elk populations? Half the places I'm most familiar with aren't even meeting the socially accepted population objectives that are so far from anything biologically relevant that its laughable.

Solid pick to work on behalf of Montana's wildlife.

So, the answer is, he just likes to use words he doesn't understand.

@Gerald Martin, set up a field trip and have Hank point out the reason's for his "conclusions" about what it is that makes him form the opinion elk are above biological carrying capacity ANYWHERE in Montana. Ask for specifics on habitat, plant communities, etc.

I've looked at professionally, hunted, and otherwise poked around most all the major mountain ranges and elk hunting areas in Montana my entire life...and I call BS that there are areas that are even CLOSE to biological carrying capacity for elk.

To be fair, no director writes their own statements. That's why you have a comms staff, and even though he's saying stuff we don't like, Greg Lemon is a standup guy trying to do a tough job.

And I'm sure once you see all the damage* that's being done by elk on ranches that are exclusively outfitted you'd change your tune!

*This damage only occurs from December to August, apparently.

To be fair, no director writes their own statements. That's why you have a comms staff, and even though he's saying stuff we don't like, Greg Lemon is a standup guy trying to do a tough job.

And I'm sure once you see all the damage* that's being done by elk on ranches that are exclusively outfitted you'd change your tune!

*This damage only occurs from December to August, apparently.
Maybe its about time they start writing their own statements...and maybe doing some of their own thinking for a change.

You know, actually doing the job they were hired for...oh, wait..I guess he is.

Too bad its not to work on behalf of doing what's right by Wildlife in Montana.

Does anyone know if Worsech even has a degree in Wildlife Biology?

He has the MTFWP required advanced degrees in bullshitting the public, and I just follow orders, for sure. Just curious if he just likes to use big words like biological carrying capacity, or actually knows what they mean?
Not sure he has any degree. Seriously, that’s the rumor.

What happened today was damn near criminal. Had a chance to look through the shoulder season public comments and it's like nothing I've ever seen before, literally like finding a needle in the haystack for anyone in favor of them.
There was that one dude from Belgrade who couldn’t find a cow to shoot on public for eleven weeks so he thinks additional time would be helpful…

There was that one dude from Belgrade who couldn’t find a cow to shoot on public for eleven weeks so he thinks additional time would be helpful…
You mean the dude that works for Meateater, the show that sells books on how to cook wild game? It’s amazing to me that someone in the industry can’t kill a cow elk….unbelievable. There are guys on this forum that could probably do it in 3 days with a fork. Now we have Steve’s transplants needing more time.

You mean the dude that works for Meateater, the show that sells books on how to cook wild game? It’s amazing to me that someone in the industry can’t kill a cow elk….unbelievable. There are guys on this forum that could probably do it in 3 days with a fork. Now we have Steve’s transplants needing more time.
One of their guys was the one who made that comment? That’s pretty damn disappointing if so. It would be nice if they’d use their huge audience to get the word out about some of these issues.

Exploiting wildlife comes from both sides, glad people are starting to see it.

One thing that Worsech and many of the Legislators on the House FWP Committee expressed verbal frustration over was that we were there to stonewall and oppose rather than coming forward with suggestions or ideas. I would argue that it's hard to come forward with any ideas when you have a gun to your head in the form of a law. Put the gun down and then we can talk. I think it would be wise for many people on this forum to really put some thought into the breakdown of regulations, season structure, and start being vocal about what you would like to see.

There is a Missouri Breaks Elk Working Group meeting next week in Malta. If you're anywhere close, I would urge you to attend (@Eric Albus hope you can make it). I would imagine there will be at least one Commission member there. I'm planning to spend the next week thinking of some suggestions to lay out on the table.
What day is it. I’ve been out of circulation

FWIW, he just posted a screenshot of the comment on IG and says he did not submit that to the Commission. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Will the biologists be at the meetings that start Monday?
If there is a biologist, yes. For some reason there’s been an unusually high level of staff turnover lately though…🙄

What is his name?

Back