Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

MT Bulls Bugling Yet?

engelwood

Hey Guys. I'm heading out in t-minus 55 hours for MT for 10 days of elk and deer hunting with my dad and best friend. Just curious if the elk are talkin' yet or if they are pretty quite right now? Weather is supposed to cool off come sunday and hopefully that will have a positive affect on the rutting action. Anyways, any insight would be great. Thanks!

They are here and there. We heard them opening day and that was it. I hear reports of them in the Northwest part of the state that they are just starting to get active.

Was just out and shot a cow, and they were just starting to get going so you are picking a good time to head out. Best of luck and look forward to hearing the outcome.

Elk don't bugle in MT anymore because of the wolves...as matter of fact, the wolves ate them all! LOL

Anyway, j/k, good luck and keep us posted! ;)

Seem to be more talkative this year than they have been in the past. I have been hearing bugles almost everyday since opening weekend. Something of an anomoly where I hunt. Had a buddy bugle in a couple just yesterday, but couldn't get a shot on them.

Maybe I shouldn't have even asked this question..... you guys are getting me all jacked up to leave and I still have to wait another 2 days!!! HAHAHA. That's awesome that they are somewhat talkative. Hopefully they are talkin it up in the area I'm heading to. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes when I get back. Hopefully we can get some critters on the ground!

Alright..... t-minus 7.5 hours and I'm outta here for MT. Anybody been out in the last couple days that can say whether they are getting after it with the rut and talking at all? Thanks for any info. Hopefully I have some pics and story to share over the next week!!!

Had a couple bulls bugling on Thursday but they were on the move so it didnt work out for us. No bugles and no elk sightings on Friday so we tried another spot today, nothing. Pretty smokey out there right now. Good luck!

The bugling in the central part of the state is/was crappy all up till this morning. I missed a giant at 30 yds.:mad: For some reason I thought it was 50. What a rookie.

So far for me the west side of the state has been way more fired up. Have had 3 in to bow range so far.

I hunted from tuesday morning until this morning and I didnt hear one peep out of them. I saw plenty of elk but they were being quiet. Bulls and cows were still seperate so it hasnt started there yet.

On a similar note last night at about 9:30pm I finished eating and stepped behind the tent and let out a couple of bugles. I just wanted to see if something would respond. I didnt hear anything. So I climbed in the tent and started ready my book. About a half hour later I just about have a heart attack when a cow elk starts chirping right outside my tent, and I mean right outside of my tent. There was about a half dozen cow elk standing in my camp wondering where the hell this bull was at???
It made me laugh cause some how elk always get in the last laugh!!

I just got back for hunting for myself the last couple days and found my 2 youngest boys wanting to go hunting with dad so we went out tonight. As I left my wife says you know what going to happen they will be noisy and so on. I said our only goal was to have them hear an elk bugle. Well we got the elk bugle out of the way early and spent the rest of the night teaching the little yippers about elk hunting.:D Here's a couple shots. We heard 2 different bulls and about 15 bugles total. Nothing to hot.

Bridger pretending with the bugle bow
2012-09-15 001 006 (640x480).jpg

A little lesson on wind and which way is good and bad to be blowing. It was bad for us tonight.
2012-09-15 001 008 (640x480).jpg

Bridger wanted to look through binos, so he finally crawled on my lap and up through my bino harness and made himself at home.
2012-09-15 001 011 (640x480).jpg

Lucky Boys.

Dad takes them''Hunting''. Got there looks from their Mom.

Good looking Boys Lawnboy, they should be big enough to help pack out critters in a few years.

Back