Caribou Gear

MT Big 3

Well, now glad I made the decision not to get in the Montana point game when they started it. Was afraid it was just a ploy to get applicants invested in it before "setting the hook". Since I began investing in various state's hunting lotteries it has morphed into a business of who can profit the most off those hunters who will never draw a tag in their lifetimes, not just a method for selling/distributing actual big game tags.

Montana has now made my decision to ever get in their game a no brainer.......$70/species/year plus all the guys in front of me with squared points! That deal is even worse than WY's for any newbies starting from ground zero. You can bet MT will morph their rules yet again in the future when they see the decline in new applicants. How?.........by cheapening the points they sold previously. Sadly, most state's big game lotteries these days are in fact legalized Ponzi schemes.

Since I began buying points in 10 states in 1996, only two have not bait & switched by cheapening my points (Ponzi schemes).............Arizona & New Hampshire. That's it. The rest choose money over ethics.
How does AZ qualify as not 'cheapening'?

How does AZ qualify as not 'cheapening'?

They have not reduced the amount of tags issued to nonresidents by such means as: Converting premium tags to auction; Converting some tags to outfitter welfare; Reducing nonresident percentage, etc.

I think the wife and I will convert our sheep points into ewe tags and be done with MT. ;)

Definitely dumping my moose and goat points. I think we'll still keep putting in for sheep. I don't mind supporting game agencies within reason.

I'm so fortunate that I can hunt the "big 3" every year if I want. That's the main reason I moved to Alaska, anyway... My perspective sure has changed, that's for sure. I mean I can hunt goats every year if I want to, just haven't "wanted" too bad enough which is sad on my part.

They have not reduced the amount of tags issued to nonresidents by such means as: Converting premium tags to auction; Converting some tags to outfitter welfare; Reducing nonresident percentage, etc.
Have they changed the "value" of a point depending on how many you have?

Have they changed the "value" of a point depending on how many you have?

They fiddled with their system to essentially convert some bonus points to preference, but that should be mostly restored in 2016. And it did not change the amount issued to NR, which by far is the important thing.

FWP's news release on the fee changes...

April 10, 2014

NEW FEE SYSTEM

Moose, Sheep, Goat Hunting Applications Due May 1

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks officials remind hunters applying for moose, bighorn sheep and mountain goat licenses that they will see changes in fees as a result of state legislation adopted last year.

In past years, hopeful resident hunters were required to submit $75 with their application for a $125 license, plus pay a $5 drawing fee. This year, resident hunters need only submit a nonrefundable $10 application fee per license and then pay the full license fee of $125 if successful.

"The 2013 Montana Legislature adopted the new fee system as a more efficient business model," said Ron Aasheim, FWP spokesman in Helena. "Once a hunter is awarded the license he or she will then pay the entire fee, which also saves FWP considerable accounting time, including the cost to cut thousands of refund checks and send them back through the mail to unsuccessful applicants."

In a typical year, FWP offers about 370 moose licenses, 430 bighorn sheep licenses and 290 mountain goat licenses through the special drawings—and would usually sent refunds to more than 57,000 unsuccessful applicants.

While more hunters may apply this year as a result of the fee change, Aasheim said those who applied in past years, and who also participated with "bonus points" to increase the chance of being awarded a license, will still have a leg up.

"Hunters with existing bonus points have them arithmetically 'squared' to further increase their chances of success in the drawing," Aasheim said.

For instance, a hunter who applied for but wasn't drawn for a bighorn sheep license for the past five years, and who also participated in the bonus point system each year, will have 25 additional chances to be drawn in 2014.

Nonresidents are also included in the new fee arrangement. In past years, nonresident hunters were required to submit $750, the entire cost of a moose, bighorn sheep or mountain goat license, plus pay a $5 drawing fee. This year, nonresident hunters need only submit a nonrefundable $50 application fee per license and then pay the full license fee of $750 if successful.

Residents and nonresidents can participate in the bonus point system. Bonus points are $2 per species for residents and $20 per species for nonresidents.

May 1 is the deadline to apply for Montana's moose, bighorn sheep, bison and mountain goat licenses available through a special drawing. The next big deadline is June 2 to apply for antelope, deer B and elk B licenses.

Applying for drawings for special big game hunting permits and licenses is a lot easier these days for hunters who apply early and online at fwp.mt.gov.

Anyone looked at the new application for moose/sheep/goat?

http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=62837

It went from $5 per species and a $20 point fee, to $50 per species, and $20 per species point fee, for a grand total of $210 non-refundable for the same application.

I think I'll keep my money, they can keep my points...
Well, it's now 2024 (almost). Anyone quit yet? If so, you've likely been replaced by a dude from some metro area who gives not 2 sh*ts for the cost.

A Hilleberg at that. If I had a waypoint, I'd go salvage that MF.
Lace em up

Well he only went in there once and sent us the trail. So it can't be that hard to find. Oh wait the bridge is "out".......

Guess it will forever be a slice of history in the tooths. Much like some of the old 1900s camps that are still staged in there.

Look kids.... There's Ol Shawshank Point.

Lace em up

Well he only went in there once and sent us the trail. So it can't be that hard to find. Oh wait the bridge is "out".......

Guess it will forever be a slice of history in the tooths. Much like some of the old 1900s camps that are still staged in there.

Look kids.... There's Ol Shawshank Point.
On the next installment of "E-Scouting with Randy". Find shanked tents in Sat photos.

I feel like this shanked tent story is a if you know you know and if you have to ask you wouldn't understand but I've dug through the old threads and I have to ask. What's the story? I am a little nervous...

Well, it's now 2024 (almost). Anyone quit yet? If so, you've likely been replaced by a dude from some metro area who gives not 2 sh*ts for the cost.
Still a quitter here. I'm sure 10,000 more hunters were dupped into believing that one of those 7 NR sheep tags has their name on. The money I've saved paid for 2 sheep hunts. :D

Still a quitter here. I'm sure 10,000 more hunters were dupped into believing that one of those 7 NR sheep tags has their name on. The money I've saved paid for 2 sheep hunts. :D
Applying for a Montana sheep tag isn't the smartest thing I do each year.

Nearly 4.5 decades of money down the drain, thankfully about half as a Resident.

Back