Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

MT Big 3

Bambistew

Anyone looked at the new application for moose/sheep/goat?

http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.html?id=62837

It went from $5 per species and a $20 point fee, to $50 per species, and $20 per species point fee, for a grand total of $210 non-refundable for the same application.

I think I'll keep my money, they can keep my points...

Last edited:
Yeah. I did see that. It's crazy. I feel like most states these days are making it so extraordinarily painful for the nonresident to even participate that many will just quit playing the game. There has to be a line somewhere when, once crossed, the bulk of out-of-state hunters simply say "no thanks." It seems like MT is trying to seek out that line.

Ouch! Adding that with the 80% refund for not drawing a limited entry buck/bull tags makes MT a pretty expensive place to apply for NRs...

Yeah I have seen this also, def made me rethink my apps. MT. moose is'nt worth that to me so they will keep my points and after drawing an elk permit they can keep those also. Just not worth it anymore IMO. Some of these states are pricing themselves out of the game or pricing me out not sure which?:confused:

This is certainly one way to better the draw odds.

Moose-I'm out
Mtn Goat-keep the points, I'll just buy a OTC tag in AK
Sheep-gotta dream about something:D

Moose-I'm out
Mtn Goat-keep the points, I'll just buy a OTC tag in AK
Sheep-gotta dream about something:D

This. With the crazy low draw odds, I'd rather buy lottery tickets. MT won't lose any money with their new price structure.

I'm staying in for all 3, in too deep to quit. One more moose and goat tag and I'm out. Sheep I'm in until I physically cant stand any longer...then I'll just apply for the easiest sheep hunts.

I think there is no doubt odds will go up some, still a very long shot though. Just think they are slowly pricing the average guys out and it won't stop there is my only concern about all this.
I can go to AK and buy two bou tags over the counter very high odds of success awesome hunt in an awesome place for the price of that MT elk tag now. And overall cost of the trip are about equal. I can do AK moose cheaper. Or I can go to Newfoundland guided and kick in another grand. You see get my drift at some point we all look somewhere else lots of options out there.:D

I don't see how I can convince myself to keep applying. In 2012, there were roughly 6,900 non-resident applications for 11 bighorn ram tags. Factor in squared bonus points and the odds for anybody in the bottom half of the point game is probably 1 in a couple thousand, maybe worse.

This is a bit of a tangent but I was just looking at the tag fees and for a MT resident, a deer and elk tag is a grand total of $36?

I agree. Horrible. Everyone quit applying. Tell all your friends.

Sadly this is what is happening people are doing this. I think it is sad day in the hunting world when opportunity is taken away because of someone being priced out with the dollar. Look at other countries it is a rich man's sport and I am seriously afraid America is coming to this also slowly.:W:

This is a load of bs. As a resident, I am also frustrated with our licensing. As are many other residents. I would be willing to pay more for my tags and would like to see nr fees lowered. I have a lot of friends/family that just can't justify the costs to hunt, or even fish, in mt.

Unfortunately mt is hunting itself out of opportunities for the average man. The rule makers are grasping at straws but continually coming up short.

This is a load of bs. As a resident, I am also frustrated with our licensing. As are many other residents. I would be willing to pay more for my tags and would like to see nr fees lowered. I have a lot of friends/family that just can't justify the costs to hunt, or even fish, in mt.

Unfortunately mt is hunting itself out of opportunities for the average man. The rule makers are grasping at straws but continually coming up short.

You summed it up well . Pretty soon they'll have to lower cost of NR tags cuz they won't be selling half of the, - I bet when the combo drawings come out in April that there will be thousands of big game / elk /deer combos left and that is sad

Up until this year, a nonresident had to put up the full price of the license to apply, which was $755. Now, we can take a shot for 50 bucks? Yah, it's nonrefundable, but who cares. I find it a lot easier to round up $150 dollars and apply for all 3, then have to write a check for $2,265 and then have to wait 2 months for a refund.

If these States keep squashing dreams they will look up one day and there won't be enough dreamers left to fund their management goals. It's gonna be a sad day when there aren't any dreamers left to secure and defend the habitat these species require.

If these States keep squashing dreams they will look up one day and there won't be enough dreamers left to fund their management goals. It's gonna be a sad day when there aren't any dreamers left to secure and defend the habitat these species require.

There you go spook I couldn't have said it better myself. This is what is going to eventually happen. Some of these states are great places to visit but heck I live in a great state to visit also. Lost hunting opportunities are hard to replace once they are gone they are usually just that GONE.....

I think some of these states are really gonna learn a tough lesson very soon with agencies lossing jobs and thier ablility to manage thier wildlife as they should.

The new changes have already made me to decide to drop both deer and moose points on my part the quality/chance/opportunity just isn't worth it to me at this point, And I have several points in the game started from the go basically.

Last edited:
Up until this year, a nonresident had to put up the full price of the license to apply, which was $755. Now, we can take a shot for 50 bucks? Yah, it's nonrefundable, but who cares. I find it a lot easier to round up $150 dollars and apply for all 3, then have to write a check for $2,265 and then have to wait 2 months for a refund.

Beartooth I may have read the new regs wrong I was under the impression this would be tacked onto the $2,265 and then lost. not $150 bucks? I just put in for th elk permit and I believe the new fees where added on to the license cost. I will have to look at it again. Of coarse it is getting more confusing each year it seems? LOL:rolleyes:

I care. I would MUCH rather submit the full application fee and basically get it all back instead of throwing $210 out the window that I will NEVER get back.

Is there any other state that charges more for an elk tag than a sheep tag? MT is messed up.

Back