Ms. Mary stikes again

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
After years of getting pics from my buddy George showing him and his wife, Mary, and their hunting exploits, I asked for permission to post this one. Here is the gig. George and Mary lived in Alaska for years, hunting and fishing like most Alaskans do. They moved to the Lower 48 for the better weather and to be closer to some of the things they need these days.

I shared an elk camp with George a couple years back. He is in his late 70's and still stalks the hills with his traditional bow. He has had a stroke and his share of other medical issues. But, nothing will keep him from spending his fall days in the woods trying to fill tags. I suspect if you have shot as many animals as George has, it is the time in the hills that is most important, not punching tags.

Mary loves to hunt, especially deer. I am not sure how many deer she has shot, but probably more than her share. As George told me, "Every old traditional bowhunter needs a wife who can shoot straight."

Here is a pic of the deer Mary shot on Sunday. A really nice New Mexico 4X4. When I got the pics, there was emphasis that "as per usual, this deer was on public land and self-guided."

Though we are not supposed to talk about women and their ages, at some age they do allow that indescretion without retribution. Mary is 78 years old and weighs less than the buck she shot, 98 pounds. I will be happy if I am still walking at age 78, let alone have the health and vision to be knocking down nice public land mule deer bucks.

DSC01973.jpg

DSC01975.jpg

Congrats Mary. I look forward to seeing the pics of next year's buck. I wonder if she will make me a pair of those gaiters that are "Viking Purple?"

If you have pics of that generation of hunters still out in the field, please post them up. I love seeing the older generation still out hunting as much as I love taking young hunters and getting them involved.

That's AMAZING, and a nice buck too boot! I'm with you, I will probably be unable to walk at age 78 if I make it that long!!! Congratulations to her!!!!

Very, very cool. I want to be doing that when I get there. Thanks for posting.

One of my Dad's good friends is in his eighties. He still gets an elk every year. He missed a bull last week and is worried that they won't get their elk this year. I might be helping them wrangle one over Thanksgiving (at least I hope so). Folks like that have so much knowledge that it is awesome to be around them and soak up what you can.

Now that’s a far better image than a little old lady in front of a slot machine with that 3 inch ash on her cigarette, pushing the button over and over and over and over and over again……………………..

That is awesome. Congrats to Mary! They sure would be a fun couple to chat with over some coffee or tea.

So nice to see people still getting after it and not just sitting in a rocking chair. That's why the outdoors are special, the adventure keeps the fire burning.

Fantastic people indeed Fin. Isn't it Mary's moose that hangs in the den of their house? That thing is a beast.

I got to interact with them quite a bit in my time spent with Helena DU. First class people all the way around.

Fantastic people indeed Fin. Isn't it Mary's moose that hangs in the den of their house? That thing is a beast.

I got to interact with them quite a bit in my time spent with Helena DU. First class people all the way around.

The "Mary" you are thinking of runs the duck camp for Ole. That is her moose in their house. She is even "more mature" than the Mary who runs deer camp for George, and is the Mary in these pictures. All are swell people who have made my life much more full.

The "Mary" you are thinking of runs the duck camp for Ole. That is her moose in their house. She is even "more mature" than the Mary who runs deer camp for George, and is the Mary in these pictures. All are swell people who have made my life much more full.

??? So Ole's Mary has a moose hanging in George and Mary's house?

I think the most fun I've ever had on a duck opener was hunting with those guys and ending up at Ole's house with some fine Scotch afterword.

I should add... Ole is a living legend. I could listen to him talk for days. I wonder if he has been back to Minnesota recently to pick up a batch of basswood...

Ms. Mary

Mary, my lass,
Spirit, brawn, steel, and brass,
Up on the mule deer sleeping.

With cold-stare eye,
And a cold, blue sky,
Ol’ Mary, my lass, came a’ creeping.

Through hill and hollowed hell,
Mary crept along, and well.
Never did the mule deer suspect.

That with shouldered rifle aimed
At mulie’s muscled frame,