PEAX Equipment

MR Pintler: Good option for multi-day backpacking elk hunt?

matechakeric

i'm wondering if a pintler would be a good choice for multi-day elk hunts (say 4-5 days) or if a metcalf is a better option for capacity

Last edited:
All depends on how you pack, but I’ve had both and a Stone Glacier 5900. I couldn’t get 4 plus days out of a Pintler without stuff strapped to the outside. A Metcalf can do it, but it was still a bit small when I had to bring more cold weather gear. You might look at the Beartooth if you’re really going to be going over 4 days.

All depends on how you pack, but I’ve had both and a Stone Glacier 5900. I couldn’t get 4 plus days out of a Pintler without stuff strapped to the outside. A Metcalf can do it, but it was still a bit small when I had to bring more cold weather gear. You might look at the Beartooth if you’re really going to be going over 4 days.
good point. pintler sounds like a great day pack but too small for more than a day or so + camping gear

I have the Pintler and Metcalf. If you're gonna have one, get the Metcalf. Its perfect for up to 5 days and folds flat enough for day hunting. That said, I really like the Pintler. That 3 way zipper is really neat and it seems to organize my things better. You can always use the load shelf to carry camp gear as well. That allows you to carry a bunch more stuff without things strapped everywhere.

I have gotten 2-3 days out of a Longbow (now Pintler) during early season archery hunting, with a drybag strapped under an Alpine Lid.

My Metcalf is way more versatile. I can get a week out of it pretty easily.

I would also checkout the Beartooth 80 bag. They seem pretty slick but it would be nice if they were a little smaller maybe 65-70L.

I am now using a SG Sky 5900. I really like the ability to reduce the volume from the top. I have it in "bivy mode" 4300 ci almost exclusively.

I would suggest going the Beartooth route if you end up purchasing a MR pack (that’s what I bought after really looking at what would be needed for 5 days). It’s big enough for all of your stuff for 4-5 days and still honestly packs down pretty small for a day pack.

The Beartooth is better for longer hunts. The Metcalf is simpler and was easier to use for me. The Metcalf is on the ragged edge for room for a weeklong hunt. You better pack efficiently.

Two years with the Pintler. Best day hunting pack I've ever had, and packs quarters like a champ. There lies the answer. Its a day pack. Think overnight gear/hunting gear/and packing meat...all at once.

Two years with the Pintler. Best day hunting pack I've ever had, and packs quarters like a champ. There lies the answer. Its a day pack. Think overnight gear/hunting gear/and packing meat...all at once.
The Pintler would work for me too. I have a Metcalf. Day stuff and I can pack it full of dead elk. My days of multiple overnites might be gone. Maybe. mtmuley

The Pintler would work for me too. I have a Metcalf. Day stuff and I can pack it full of dead elk. My days of multiple overnites might be gone. Maybe. mtmuley
I hear you. I have backed off from the multiple nights and therefore decided the Metcalf was simply extra weight for day hunts. Sold it and switched to Pintler.
Good call, for me. Love all aspects of the pack...last years elk came out nicely too.

Second all of the above. I started with a pintler and decided it needs to be a day pack. Just got the Metcalf.

I think you can still pick the Pintler up as a bag only option, so you can add it later and swap out between the two.

I have a Pintler and a Beartooth. You could do a couple days out of the Pintler if packing light and using the load shelf for sure, but I prefer it as a day pack, and it's an excellent day pack.

I have a Mule, a Pintler, and just got a Beartooth last week. Did the first 3 day trip with it ending today.
Purchased the beartooth specifically for a week+ colorado elk hunt this year (and Idaho next year).
The trip I just came back from was with pack goats so we went in semi heavy @40+# and came out at sub-20#.
Bear tooth was great for bulky winter-iah gear and snugged down great for day hikes and our almost-nothing-in-there return hike.
10/10 would recommend.
Once you get one I'd watch MR and CamoFire for bag only options for the same frame. Maximize your options for minimum cash outlay.

Back