Lightweight backpacking tent options

338 win mag

Hey guys, looking for ideas on a lightweight tent options. Parameters are as follows
1- will be mainly for me and my son on scouting trips and possibly a backpack hunt so I'm assuming a 3-4 person tent for 2 people and gear
2- a mesh liner is preferable since we live in the south and mosquitoes and other bugs can be an issue in warm weather.
3- I know "buy once, cry once" but I can't spend a fortune. Would like to stay in the $600 range or less.

Interested in tipi tents due to weight and ease of setup as well as the ability to run a stove if needed. However there are less options for having a liner. Also have looked at places like REI at various brands of conventional backpacking tents. Kind of stumped at the moment as to which direction to go

I've always wanted a big Agnes myself. Just haven't needed to replace mine yet. They have a pretty big line card that I think will hit your requirements minus the tipi from what I remember

If lightweight is really what you’re after wait until Gossamer Gear has a sale and you can get their “Two,” a sub 2lb tent for under $300. Awnings are huge for gear storage. It’s all I use anymore in fair weather months. Stayed up just fine in 60mph gusts recently, but boy was it noisy. No way I’d use the thing if more than a dusting of snow was in the forecast though.

That Six Moon UL package looks pretty slick too.

Shop eBay for top brand and model and save hundreds.
I have found countless top of the line tents for dirt cheap at flea markets. I keep what I want and sell the rest on eBay. Many times they were like brand new and sold for a fraction of retail.

I'd Highly recommend "THE TWO" made by Gossamer Gear.
Excellent ultralight trekking pole tent for two people, it weighs less than 2lbs and has a very small foot print in your backpack. I used it for 40+ days last year and it still works great.
It is $320.IMG_6354.jpeg

I have the REI flash air 2 and have been happy with it so far. Disclaimer all my nights have been fair weather have yet to test it in a storm.

My friend used his Hilleberg Atko last weekend on a mid-Atlantic backpacking trip. He said ventilation was terrible and he burned up. He said it is a 3 season tent - fall, winter, and spring.

I would look at a Seek Outside Cimmaron or Redcliff with a half or full liner. I am taller, so I am looking at a Redcliff myself. I have used an 8 man Seek Outside tipi and it is nice but larger than I need.

Hey guys, looking for ideas on a lightweight tent options. Parameters are as follows
1- will be mainly for me and my son on scouting trips and possibly a backpack hunt so I'm assuming a 3-4 person tent for 2 people and gear
2- a mesh liner is preferable since we live in the south and mosquitoes and other bugs can be an issue in warm weather.
3- I know "buy once, cry once" but I can't spend a fortune. Would like to stay in the $600 range or less.

Interested in tipi tents due to weight and ease of setup as well as the ability to run a stove if needed. However there are less options for having a liner. Also have looked at places like REI at various brands of conventional backpacking tents. Kind of stumped at the moment as to which direction to go
Only one.....Argali Absaroka..finest tent for the money. Out performs em all.

My friend used his Hilleberg Atko last weekend on a mid-Atlantic backpacking trip. He said ventilation was terrible and he burned up. He said it is a 3 season tent - fall, winter, and spring.

I would look at a Seek Outside Cimmaron or Redcliff with a half or full liner. I am taller, so I am looking at a Redcliff myself. I have used an 8 man Seek Outside tipi and it is nice but larger than I need.
I don’t have those problems on my Hilleberg. I’m going to use it on a wilderness trip this weekend.

I don’t have those problems on my Hilleberg. I’m going to use it on a wilderness trip this weekend.
Those are probably some of the best made tents on the market, but talk about heavy and expensive for anyone not partaking in expedition level trips.

Those are probably some of the best made tents on the market, but talk about heavy and expensive for anyone not partaking in expedition level trips.
Not all backpacking weight is the same. I’ve slept uncomfortably in the bear burritos light weight tents. I’ve also slept comfortably in my Nallo during a severe storm that soaked my camping partners.

I'll weigh in on one thing re floor-less tents: if you're in the south and expecting to stay at campgrounds ever (even non-campgrounds that are commonly used for camping) then rodents can be an issue w/ floorless tents. If you're out in the wilds then it's all good.

Not all backpacking weight is the same. I’ve slept uncomfortably in the bear burritos light weight tents. I’ve also slept comfortably in my Nallo during a severe storm that soaked my camping partners.
Yup. I’ve slept like a baby through storms that had my friends up all night. And I have found that they build in so much versatility, if your friends tent didn’t vent, it was because of a lack of imagination, not the tent.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back