Moving west and need some help choosing where!

Graves14

I'll keep this short. My wife is finishing nursing school in December and we're planning to move next spring. We both hunt, we both fish, we both LOVE the outdoors. both coming from New England we're ready for a new adventure.

This is my question, which western state offers the best overall hunting opportunities to residents? I'd prefer a state that focuses on more opportunity to hunt rather than trophy animals, and I'd prefer a state that offers a variety of large and small game. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming are all on the short list.

What would you all suggest? Anything I need to know?

Thank you hunt talkers for helping me "internet scout" lol

The hunting in Wyoming is hard to beat. I really like the fly fishing in Western Montana (never tried hunting there). Best of luck.

You have to think about a social life too, especially if you're a young couple. So, while hunting and outdoor activities are tops on your list, you still need time out with friends.

I was born and raised in CO. In the 80s I tired of the growth and chose Idaho because of the large Federally Designated Wilderness areas, and yet it still had a temperate climate (i.e. not AK). I found the land in Idaho, from south-west desert to northern forests to be all I thought it to be: Wonderful!

The only reason I left was their politics and I miss the high plains bison country. If you don't already have a spiritual connection with a certain location like I did, and if you are comfortable with Idaho politics (or are capable of ignoring them), then I strongly recommend it. They have awesome rivers, mountains, trees, deserts, hunting, fishing, hiking and places to be alone, in spite of the efforts of many. Like everywhere else on the planet, it is under assault so be prepared to do some recon.

That's my two cents.

Montana. But I am biased cause I was born and raised here. If your wife is in the medical field, Missoula has a couple great hospitals. mtmuley

I could have moved anywhere and chose NM. But then again,I'm an old [email protected]'ve lived in MT,AZ, CA,NM.
Great climate,beautiful country, good folks(for most part), diversity of game,affordable.
Nurses are doing well here,in demand.

John's right tho. Your young and may need other social,physical,cultural excitement.
The way of life here is very different than the rest of the country,along with the altitude.

Sounds like you should give Oregon a serious look. Lot's of opportunity for residents although trophy quality on the east side hunts is lacking. Western Oregon is all OTC and the trophy quality is excellent. Also a huge range in climate zones to fit whatever you prefer.

I do not believe there is a state that offers hunting opportunity for as many species as Oregon?? Another bonus is the abundance of fish and shellfish to fill in the time between hunts....

Blacktail
Eastern Whitetail
Columbia Whitetail
Mule Deer
Rocky Mt Elk
Roosevelt Elk
Black Bear ( up to 3 a year including OTC or easy draw Spring tags)
Cougar
Rocky Mt Bighorn
California Bighorn
Mt Goat
Pronghorn
Turkey

With that said I would enjoy living in Montana for awhile I believe just to have some new experiences.

I was born in Montana and lived there for 32 years before moving to Wyoming...so I feel I can provide some decent advice for both States.

I think either State can provide what you're looking for, not really a wrong answer.

For big-game opportunity, I give the nod to Wyoming...3 elk tags a year, 2 buck antelope a year, 4 doe antelope a year, 2 buck deer tags a year, at least 4 doe tags a year. You can also buy an OTC bear and 2 lion tags.

The fishing in Wyoming is great...excellent walleye in Glendo, Seminoe, Boysen, Gray Rocks, etc. etc. There is good trout fishing statewide in many lakes, streams, rivers.

Small game opportunities are somewhat limited. There is some upland bird hunting, rabbit hunting, etc. but not as good as MT. I haven't hunted waterfowl here in Wyoming, but there is some decent hunting early and also on the Eastern side of the State.

Montana, the fishing is good in the rivers if you're into catch and release. Some of the lakes/reservoirs in Montana are really good...Holter, Hauser, Canyon Ferry, Fort Peck, Nelson, etc.

IMO, the bird hunting, both waterfowl and upland are much better in Montana.

Big-game, I've seen a pretty severe slide in Montana in the areas I hunt, although deer are recovering. Elk hunting is way more difficult in Montana than Wyoming, a lot more difficult. If you choose to live on the West side of the State plan on spending a lot of time. I have spots that I can kill an elk every year there, but success rates in MT are not that high. Whitetail hunting in Western Montana is improving, following the blood-bath of the mid-late 2000's. Mule deer hunting has declined big-time since the 80's and I would feel like I broke a fragile antique killing one in Region 1 or 2. Still some good mule deer hunting in Central and Eastern Montana.

Big-game: Wyoming
Bear/lion: Either
Small game/bird: Montana
Fishing: Either

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those states. Cushman has a good point about social life. It can be tough to find friends in some of the smaller towns. It is also tough to find some "culture" sometimes. Luckily I have friends in Missoula and Bozeman so I can get to town and for some people watching. If you chose Central or Western MT then you'd likely end up about 2hrs from "town" for some entertainment. I'd stay away from Eastern MT mostly due to the tough housing issues...the hunting opportunity can be pretty good though.

I know I would struggle in some of the towns in WY and some of the more religious towns of Southern Idaho.

I started working in MT in 2003 as a summer intern...been a permanent resident since I graduated in 2005. I don't think I'll leave any time soon.

No advice on a state but good luck to you and your wife where ever you choose to put down roots.

Some good points about civilization above. I have friends back east and in the midwest. If they need something done, the yellow pages are full of eager folks willing to good work fast, professionally and for a reasonable price. Out west, in rural areas, you best learn how to do things on your own, or wait a long time, or pay a huge price, and there are lot's of monopolies (i.e. only one guy around who does X and he's half-retired, half-asleep, half-monkey, etc.). I'm a jack of all trades by necessity. Can't give my money away sometimes. If you find a good pro, treat him/her right.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Chances are we'll be in a fairly "devolped area" so the lady has a hospital to work at. Oregon and Washington are in the mix as well, waterfowl there is amazing. I don't think I'd looked closely enough at Wyoming, I'll do some more research into it.

Thanks guys keep em coming

what about south island new zealand
hunting 12 months of the year,,plenty of small game,,heaps of fishing, the canals produce monsters up to 40 lb(brown trout)
the people are very friendly

I always advocate Idaho because of the OTC tags for Elk Deer and Bear.
Proximity to Trophy states would allow weekend scouting when you draw those "Good Tags"
Boise has a wider political demographic and social scene.
Idaho Falls is pretty conservative religiously, and politically.
Twin Falls is the Ag center of the state.
Mountains rivers and desert all close for recreation opportunities.

I always advocate Idaho because of the OTC tags for Elk Deer and Bear.
Proximity to Trophy states would allow weekend scouting when you draw those "Good Tags"
Boise has a wider political demographic and social scene.
Idaho Falls is pretty conservative religiously, and politically.
Twin Falls is the Ag center of the state.
Mountains rivers and desert all close for recreation opportunities.

Good post. I'm moving to Idaho in 3 weeks and can't wait to get there.

Tough to argue with Buzz's logic, but I would note he comes home to hunt MT every year. ;)

As a Wyoming native and Montanan for 8 years, I would tip to MT for the fishing and agree that WY has a little better opportunity for big game, but it's still not bad in MT when you look at general districts and the amount of time you have to chase big game. I can generally get 5 deer tags, 2 elk, bear, turkey, wolf, & lion. Upland hunting in MT is fantastic and waterfowl can be excellent as well.

The other thing you need to look at is the tax climate. Wyoming has no personal income tax, but they do have a sales tax. Cost of living is big too. I would imagine both WY & MT are comparable when you start to look at housing costs, etc. Some food items are higher in MT than WY, but for the most part, that seems to be an anomaly.

The healthcare industry is MT's #1 industry and as such, offers a lot of opportunity in various locations, not just large urban centers. If I worked in Healthcare and cared about hunting and fishing, I'd look at MT. Our tax climate isn't bad, with a top tax rate of about 8% and the median around 6%. Cost of living is pretty good too until you get into destination sports like Missoula and Bozeman.

All good advice above. Only thing I would add is the stream access laws in Montana are very nice (staying below the high water mark).

It makes it very easy to float / wade fish and provides great opportunities.

I think MT and WY are tough to beat for western big game opportunity. I haven't spent a lot of time in WY, but lived there for a year. I lived in MT for 23 years and go back to hunt pretty regularly. I would chose WY over MT I think, really tough call though. Fewer people overall, less fishing pressure and plenty of places to get away from people. MT has its share of the same. Really a coin toss unless you are hung up on tag counts, IMO.

That said, wouldn't trade the opportunities I have in Alaska for any place, except maybe BC. There is more public land within 150 miles of my house than there is in MT and WY combined. Its not hard to find a place to explore.

Its fun and all to hunt deer/antelope/elk with easy to access areas. But there is no comparison to the hunting and fishing opportunities I have here. I know many will say that Alaska is tough to hunt due to logistics, its expensive, yada, yada, yada. Once you get it figured out, the sky is pretty much the limit. There are opportunities for pretty much every animal here on a shoe string budget. Odds of success may not be as high, but how many places can you hunt sheep every year for a tank of gas, or moose, or caribou, or goats, or grizzly/black bears, or upland birds, or unreal fishing, or...

Opportunities may require a 2-5hr drive, a boat ride, or a plane ride, but I will say that the experience you will get is about 3x better than anything I've ever experienced in MT, WY or CO.

There is always something in season to hunt, from small game to birds, to fish, to bears, to big game. never a dull moment unless you want to take some time off. It seems, I'm either going out to enjoy the outdoors, or preparing to do so. Will be pulling out fishing gear here shortly, and prepping the boat. Planning a couple shed hunting trips, and maybe look for a bear.

Unless the economy implodes in AK, I will die here. There is nothing in any state that would lure be back, besides family.

Last edited:
Not sure how much of a factor small game is, but opportunities vary widely across the west.

Montana has good to very good pheasant, hun, and sharptail hunting. Access can be an issue, particularly as you get into the western part of the state. Sharptails are a lot of fun to hunt, but I dont' care to eat them as well as I do other upland birds.

Idaho, Oregon, and Washington all offer chukars, which are by far my favorite upland bird to hunt. I love shooting pheasants, but a day in the lonely canyonlands when you're hunting chukars is pretty hard to beat. In addition, I think they are the finest eating upland table fare you'll find.

I have found that I would rather be within day hunting distance of upland birds, and have to drive a ways to hunt elk and deer rather than vice versa if I had to make the choice. If you can find an area where you've got both, like Lewistown, then so much the better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back