Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Moving west and need some advice

Hey guys! I’m new to the forum but have loved it so far! I’m 21 years old and from southern Ohio. I started western hunting when I was twelve and have been back seven times since then to hunt deer and elk. I love the west and ever since my first trip knew I wanted to live there.
I’m wanting to move west in about three years, I’m most familiar with the mackay, Idaho falls area. I love the area but I’m afraid there will be a shortage of work.
I’m a union Pipefitter and have good work here and stay busy. I really hope to continue pipefitting wherever it is I move to but am open to other options if pipefitting is not an option. I’m just wanting some options on where the best economy is in the west as far as industry and construction work. I’m not really wanting to move near Denver due to the cost of living but if that’s what I have to do to have steady work I’ll definitely do that.
I’d love to live in Idaho but my other top picks are Wyoming, Colorado and Montana. I just love the west and will be happy anywhere there are elk and pipe to fit haha.
Any advice on some areas to research and look into would be greatly appreciated. Would love to hear from other tradesman and hear their opinions on construction work in the west. Also any other steady lines of work to consider would be appreciated. I love the work I do now but I work to live, not live to work. If I have to live somewhere I don’t want to live simply to work a job than I’m defeating the purpose of having the job. Thanks guy!!

As a resident of the Springs I will confirm that you want to stay away from Denver......a hour is really too close for me but I love the Springs. Have you try calling any of the Locals in the areas your interested in and checking on how busy their folks stay? Might also check for areas that have oil and gas work too. If you have any questions about the Front Range feel free to PM me.

Thanks a lot for the response! I’ve not made any phone calls yet, I’ll be in Idaho for two weeks hunting in September so I’m planning on taking a day from my hunt to go visit the nearest union hall. I figure making a face to face introduction may do more good than writing or a phone call, if they know I’m serious about it they may be more open to transferring to their local. I’ll definitely start making some phone calls though, thanks!

I would rather dive naked into a swimming pool filled with rusty razor blades than live in Denver. I also have a friends that live there and work in construction that can't seem to leave because of the employment/pay. No offense, but if you really want western hunting, Denver sounds much better than OH.

Off the top of my head, the refineries in Billings are all I can think of in Montana. If you don't mind travel, I bet a fitter could keep busy no matter where you chose to live. mtmuley

I don't even like going to Denver for VA appointments or driving around it on 470 to get North. Too much city and too many assholes. You're better off on the front range and in the smaller cities. You won't make as much, but the cost of living is less and it evens out.

In Montana the Flathead Valley is currently growing the fastest, and Billings also has a stable economy, Bozeman is overpriced, and Missoula is very liberal (but great outdoors recreation).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back