moving to BOZEMAN

Well, I went to livingston in the middle of the afternoon yesterday and got my MT license in 15 min.
I randomly met with a person who cautioned me about big predator in the Bridgers he strongly suggested carrying a pistol. I was going to carry only bearspray. Do you guys typically carry a pistol? If so, what caliber? I realize I am probably starting a ford/chevy debate here but i d like to know. Thanks in advance.
No grizz in the Bridgers (no confirmed sightings). I carry spray as it has a higher efficacy rate and works well with cats too. That being said, when I go into the Bob's, I carry both.

I have carried a handgun since the 60s. About 1970 I went to a 45 colt and handload 200-225 gr bullets. This is the same gun I wore in southeast Alaska where brown bears were an everyday occurrence.
I have not been a fan of bearspray since I sprayed it into the wind and got covered with it. It fits into whatever makes you comfortable. The handgun for me is also used to kill grouse, finish off an elk or deer, and put my horse out of its misery if I have to. If you are going to carry a handgun - get good with it. It likely ought to be big enough to do something.

When I was in Alaska my pilot asked one of the geos if he had filed the front sight off of his 38 yet. His response was "Why would I do that?". The pilot said " Because after you shoot that brownie six times he will shove that little gun up your butt and you don't want it to hurt any more than you have to".

" Because after you shoot that brownie six times he will shove that little gun up your butt and you don't want it to hurt any more than you have to".
So nauseously trite. Wouldn't it be fun to start another seven thousand post pistol versus bear spray efficacy thread? NOT!

So how did "moving to Bozeman" morph to this? Sometimes I frantically search for a "dislike" button.

I've said before and I'll say it again...unless you are 1000% proficient with a sidearm you're best defense is bear spray. A pistol is worthless unless you know how to use it and I highly doubt most do

Well, I went to livingston in the middle of the afternoon yesterday and got my MT license in 15 min.
I randomly met with a person who cautioned me about big predator in the Bridgers he strongly suggested carrying a pistol. I was going to carry only bearspray. Do you guys typically carry a pistol? If so, what caliber? I realize I am probably starting a ford/chevy debate here but i d like to know. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to Bozeman, Montana's fastest growing big city.
Does your new license have the star in the corner? I guess we all have to get a new one by Oct 1 if we want to fly, or use our passport.
The Bridgers have black bears and lions, but I've never heard of a Grizzly there. I've often carried a 1911 .45 or a .44 mag but I've never had to use one for self defense. The only grizzly that I ever ran off was with a rock.
If you want to shoot or sight-in your rifle, you'll probably go to the range at Logan. I'm on the board of directors there. If you come out there on a Wednesday night, I'm the guy with the Golden Retriever at the Skeet range.

I've said before and I'll say it again...unless you are 1000% proficient with a sidearm you're best defense is bear spray. A pistol is worthless unless you know how to use it and I highly doubt most do
I used to work with Todd Orr. He was (maybe still is) the trails guy for the Gallatin National Forest. He knows the backcountry as good as anyone, and for many years he hunted and got his elk with his pistol.

A few years ago he un-knowingly got between a Ma Grizzly and her cubs. He had his pistol in his shoulder holster, but didn't have time to get it out and he got mauled...twice. He survived and walked back to his truck where he videoed himself with his phone, then drove himself to the hospital. His video was posted on the internet.

I randomly met with a person who cautioned me about big predator in the Bridgers he strongly suggested carrying a pistol.

Welcome to Bozeman, Montana's fastest growing big city.
Does your new license have the star in the corner? I guess we all have to get a new one by Oct 1 if we want to fly, or use our passport.
The Bridgers have black bears and lions, but I've never heard of a Grizzly there. I've often carried a 1911 .45 or a .44 mag but I've never had to use one for self defense. The only grizzly that I ever ran off was with a rock.
If you want to shoot or sight-in your rifle, you'll probably go to the range at Logan. I'm on the board of directors there. If you come out there on a Wednesday night, I'm the guy with the Golden Retriever at the Skeet range.
Great, i ll be the guy with the goldwn lookong for the rifle range

What did they charge you for the license? The other day I had to pay $61 to trade mine in for a Real ID one.

If you don’t write an op-Ed in the BDC about why Montanans need x tax for y purpose and gone to an anti trapping event at a brewery, within the next month, you haven’t settled in.
So I guess I haven't settled in yet...I dropped my subscription to the BDC back in 1980, I registered as a democrat 😖 back when whatever her name was that was running for governor and was pushing for a sales tax, just so I could vote for her nearest opponent (and I haven't voted for any democrat in any election since), I've never gone to an anti-trapping event, and the last time I was at a micro-brewery was when the Spanish Peaks was on 19th and I thought the beer tasted so bad that I couldn't finish my first one.

Also, I don't really live in Bozeman, but I can see it from my front window...5 miles away.😁

I just pulled into town. Seems like a descent place.
Busy, but has a very chill vibe.
I’m really trying to take in the local culture while I’m here.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good hot yoga class, warm chai tea or cold nitro brew?
CFA24AB2-3678-4033-9C3E-63FBA65881FA.png

To fit into Bozeman you will need a flat brim with Mtn. Ops logos, while pulling around a Hyde drift boat with Landcruiser, sporting a gay mustache, attending pint night with your BHA butt buddies, and think Cold Smoke is drinkable and good tasting beer. Preston

To fit into Bozeman you will need a flat brim with Mtn. Ops logos, while pulling around a Hyde drift boat with Landcruiser, sporting a gay mustache, attending pint night with your BHA butt buddies, and think Cold Smoke is drinkable and good tasting beer. Preston
Don't forget to put a safari snorkel on your truck, but don't bother relocating you tranny/transfer case vent tubes.

Back