Yeti GOBOX Collection

Moving To Bozeman

BuffaloRCody

I currently live in Nashville, Tn and work for Gibson USA. Gibson has it's acoustic plant in Bozeman and for the past year, I haven't been able to get Montana off my mind, so I am currently starting to get the ball rolling on getting transferred to Bozeman. My brother is retired Military disabled and spends his summers in Ennis, Mt. Is there anything I need to know about Bozeman before I move? I just can't get Montana off my brain!!! My In-laws think I'm crazy and ask "why would you want to move way out there?" My answer is if I have to explain, you probably wouldn't understand... lol

1 thing that everyone will tell you is that Bozeman is the single most expensive place in the state to find decent housing. I turned down a job there because my housing costs would have tripled for something less.

You probably have a good idea of what to expect for recreation, but yes, housing costs may be an issue. Check Craigslist to get a feel for it... Three bedrooms seem to be going for about $1200/month right now and that seems a little low. If you have a dog or cat your options are pretty limited. Belgrade is less expensive.

I rent my three bedroom in Belgrade for more than that, Rob.

Bozeman is expensive. There are no Chick-fil-As or Bojangles. People look at you funny when you say "y'all" (it's even worse when you throw out an "all of y'all") even after they just got done saying "acrost." There are now more paddle boards in town than boats...

On the flip side, we now have two Starbucks!!!!

I lived there a decade ago. Today it's the 'happenin' place in Montana.

Lot's of outdoor recreation nearby. Skiing, hunting, hiking....Some decent beer. Bozeangelinos are nice people.

Good luck.

Bozeman is expensive. There are no Chick-fil-As or Bojangles. People look at you funny when you say "y'all" (it's even worse when you throw out an "all of y'all") even after they just got done saying "acrost." There are now more paddle boards in town than boats...

Rents are sick right now.

The guy who shot the last legal grizzly bear in MT works at the Carrol ranch. I think he moved from Tennessee decades ago and he still puts three or more syllables in the word "elk." He calls them a-ah-helk or something like that.

Also, if you ask for a "coke" up here your are going to get a damn Coca Cola. We don't sell Dr. Pepper cokes, Pepsi cokes or Mountain Dew cokes up here ;) (That might have been just a Texas thing).

Yeah $1200 for a three bedroom might be possible if it's a total dump... three of my buddies live in one of these 3 bedroom places for $1200. Realistically in bozeman $1200-$1300 for a decent two bedroom apt is what you are looking at. Also the pet thing can be a huge problem. I would totally look at Belgrade first.

Also if you are coming from Nashville get ready for winter in the rockies and buy some snow tires. I always crack up when I hear about people complaining about the harsh cold of hunting ducks in Mississippi in the winter, meanwhile I'm heading out to float the river for waterfowl and my car thermometer says -25 and there is a nice steady wind blowing. MT weather is extremely variable it can be -20 in November and 50 in January but expect snow Oct-May. That said wear the right clothes get outside and you will have a blast.

Im planning on living in Ennis and commuting to Bozeman. I'm just worried about the roads in the winter. I grew up in Western New York, so I'm not new to snow, but I have never lived at high high altitude.

Im planning on living in Ennis and commuting to Bozeman. I'm just worried about the roads in the winter. I grew up in Western New York, so I'm not new to snow, but I have never lived at high high altitude.

That's a 1 hour commute on good roads. I don't know, you'll be spending 2+ hours a day in a car. Easily 3 some days in the winter. The scenery will be nice, but if I were you I'd reconsider.....

If you can travel on the roads out east in the winter, you can probably handle the Ennis to Bozeman commute. Plus, your vehicle won't rust through neary as fast out here. The one winter I spent in Maine was far worse than any of the other 35 winters I spent in the Rockies.

Cool folks in Three Forks too.We just picked up our third paddle board.;)We will be long gone by the time a Starbucks ends up on our side of the Valley.

I flew in there 3 weeks ago and was blown away at housing costs..
Even in Ennis, seemed super expensive..
But, it was gorgeous and I was disappointed I did not get the job..

Best of luck..

You might enjoy the commute from Ennis in the summer, but in the winter you'll be leaving and returning in the dark and the winds are unreal. Blowing and drifting snow and crazy semi truck drivers on a winding icy road may have you wishing you were closer.

If you are commuting from Ennis, your biggest problem might be figuring out how to NOT stop and fish along the Madison river each day.

In all seriousness, Bozeman and the surrounding area is pretty special. I lived there for over 30 years. Be prepared to see it snow every April and May at least a few days. This can be seriously disheartening when you are completely ready for winter to be over. May and June are really not "summer months" in SW Montana, as there tends to be as many rainy/cold days as there are pleasant days.

The people are great (overall), the housing is expensive, the recreation is top-notch.

Oh, and don't expect to find any great hunting spots near town that haven't already been discovered by other folks. As Bozeman has grown, especially in the last 5-10 years with an influx of outdoorsmen, there is far more competition for the nearby hunting/fishing locations.

Good luck and congrats on the upcoming move!

Its a family thing.... we just have to decide who takes the dog.
Now, if 30% of Bozeman would just pick up and leave Hyalite would return to being an enjoyable place to recreate in the summer.

I drive an hour to work now... I live south east of Nashville.

An hour commute in MT is NOTHING compared to an hour commute in Nashville. I used to drive over an hour each way to work when I lived in that area and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great way to slowly prepare yourself for the day and then a nice wind down on your way home. I wouldn't let the housing costs scare you either. It is very expensive if you live in town, but there's a few places in the surrounding areas that are a little bit cheaper. Livingston, Belgrade, Three forks, Manhattan Etc..
Good luck man, youll love it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back