Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

mountain bike

My vote would be for the Specialized Hardrock. That bike has taken me hundreds of miles over the last ten years. Would I have liked to have something better with a rear suspension, sure. But I rarely needed one. It has handled every mountain trail and work/school commutes I've ever had.

I also have to say I like the Monocog. Would be a great bike, but I fear I would miss my gears on some of those Hills.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to track a few of these down and take them for a spin. I talked to a few guys that had posts on Craigslist...even a guy that has a Cogburn CB4 for sale which was about $1000 over my budget.

I looked into the Bikes Direct company. It seems that there are a ton of mixed reviews of their rigs and website so I'll have to investigate that more.

SFC B, PM sent.

Have fun shopping.

I have this bike, the one-star model:

http://www.ninerbikes.com/jet9

Lots of different options and choices.

Edit: to show the value you can get buying used, I picked this up for $800 under retail and it had been ridden about a half a dozen times.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I rode probably 10 different bikes on Saturday and was really shocked how variable the costs were for basically the same bike. I did discover that REI in Missoula will be having a huge sale in 2 weeks and might actually have bikes below $1500 in stock.:rolleyes:

In the end, I managed to snag a used Raleigh Talus 29 Sport from a friend of a friend. The local bike shop said there was nothing to tune and thought the bike has never been ridden off the pavement.

Another vote for the Diamondback Overdrive Sport. There are much better bikes out there but for the money... This is a great bike! Look to become a member of promotive. I got the bike much cheaper than retail.

Thanks utah400elk, I'm a member of Promotive but unfortunately they were sold out of the bikes that are in my size and budget which was a bummer because those were a heck of a deal.

So I've put the new pickup on hold with hopes the 2016 models come out and I can pick up a new rig at the end of the year. In the mean time, I'm in need of a bike and I know a bunch of you guys are mountain bikers. Not having ridden a bike in many years I'm completely a noob at this.
I'm looking for a good all around bike that I can ride to work & around town but also on gravel and closed Forest roads. I envision limited hunting (mostly archery and spring turkey) off of it in locations where my limited abilities won't be tasked too hard.

I'll be headed to Missoula this weekend to take a look and hopefully buy something. Any recommendations?

You get what you pay for of course, more $$$$ gets better quality/durability, but with your experience and goals you'd probably do fine with an entry level bike in the $400-600 range.

Craigslist is good for enthusiast bikes sold for 1/3-1/2 off new when owners upgrade but working with a local bike shop has it's advantages. Beware of big box store junk sometimes sold under the same brand names as bike store offerings.

I've ridden this Giant Revel 1 nearly every day for 3 years without problems. Some rocky FS roads and trails but mostly around the farm, on BLM and the riverfront trails. It's been a good bike. In your price range, ~$525 plus accessories. I added a cushier seat, tools and spares.

So far, nothing broken, including me. ;)

Specialized hard rock.500-600 dollars and unless your a hardcore mtn biker its all you'll ever need.

This my bike. But like an idiot, I cheaped out and now I am pricing out conversion to disc brakes.

This my bike. But like an idiot, I cheaped out and now I am pricing out conversion to disc brakes.

Are your hubs and frame disc ready? Check out the Avid Mechanicals, you can get into pretty decent disc brakes pretty cheap with these. You don't quite get the performance of hydrolics, but I think they are easier to maintain yourself.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back