Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Most complicated state?

Which state is the most complicated for the non-resident elk hunter to apply to?

• Arizona

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • Colorado

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • Idaho

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Montana

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Nevada

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • New Mexico

• Oregon

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Utah

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Washington

• Wyoming

Votes: 10 10.2%

• Total voters
I think the big issue for most people with Montana is the separate draws for nonresidents to first get a license and then have to apply to get a permit to hunt a special area in another draw.

Then the fact that there are about 10 different types of licenses for some species can add additional complexity to the process.

I would be curious of the results if the residents of Mt. were removed from the poll. At least half the regulars here are R's of Mt.

I would be curious of the results if the residents of Mt. were removed from the poll. At least half the regulars here are R's of Mt.

Since none of those guys are applying to MT as a non-resident, I suspect none of them voted for MT. Or, I failed to make it clear that is was for the states you apply to as a non-resident.

I think NV has the best draw system of them all. I like the chance at drawing a tag with few or no points. I like knowing each year my chance of drawing improves exponentially. And I like the fact that turned in tags go to the next guy on the alternate list and the guy turning back the tag gets his points back plus 1. The online system is a breeze. I don't like a ten year wait for the chance to apply. Since I drew in NV at the age of 60, I won't be hunting elk there again.

maybe a better question might be,whats the best bang for the buck?what is the most expensive to apply? a few other apples and oranges to look at.

I've only applied in Idaho. If you just want a controlled hunt it sux because you have to first buy a NR hunting license to apply for the draw. But for a general tag they're over the counter which is nice. No draw. Plus, no point system for now. Just as good a chance of drawing as the next guy. Gone there twice now. Never fired a shot...

As a future Montana resident, I have been reading up on the regs, understanding hunting districts, and application processes and so far all I have figured out is that I need to do more research on knowing exactly where I want to hunt. Montana gets my vote for most complicated, the amount of districts alone gives me a headache!

I have yet to put in for MT or WY... What's so complicated about AZ? Idaho is 10X more complicated with A vs B elk, "regular" vs "whitetail only" deer, applying for deer, elk and pronghorn vs one of the trophies, but my favorite is the "unlimited controlled hunt" for deer.

Montana, with Idaho a close second for me. I think they're both trying to weed out the dummies - and so far it has worked on me and I've chickened out of applying. I've only glanced at Wyoming and haven't really looked at Nevada or Utah yet but I expect that will change in the near future. Colorado seems pretty simple to me and it seems like they are pretty proactive about encouraging non-res hunters to call with questions.

Aside from making it easier to navigate, I really wish the states could shorten the length of time between the application and the draw. Plus, I'd like them to line up consecutively so you know whether you have drawn in other states. I want a lot, I realize.

as a non -resident montana get my vote for draw system and also very high priced compared to other states,,,I usually dont even apply for montana as it isnt the best bang for my buck.

Back