Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Most complicated state?

Which state is the most complicated for the non-resident elk hunter to apply to?

• Arizona

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • Colorado

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • Idaho

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Montana

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Nevada

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • New Mexico

• Oregon

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Utah

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Washington

• Wyoming

Votes: 10 10.2%

• Total voters

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Since I wrote the article in Bugle last month, advocating that residents pay more for the great hunting they have, a lot of people seem to be interested in other aspects of elk hunting; applications, costs, logistics, deadlines, etc.

So, I have a question for those of you who hunt in western states as a non-resident. Even if you are a resident of a western state, but apply to other western states, I am interested in your thoughts.

Which state has the most complicated system of applications and licensing. From the online/paper system, to complexity of the license structure, to difficulty figuring out what areas you can/cannot hunt with the given tag, etc.

This is pertinent to elk hunting only. Deer, antelope, and other species will be a different discussion.

In the coming weeks, I will post a similar question about a few other topics related to elk hunting in the various states.

Montana is complicated initially, but once you figure out the system it is pretty easy. It took me a bit of asking questions on forums and reading the Non Resident Application booklet to understand that I have to apply for a general tag and apply for a special permit if desired and both were draws. Additionally, it took me a bit to understand that a preference point was for the general and bonus was for the special. Add on to all of this the fact that the general was 100% success it was a little confusing all at first, but in the end it is systematic and once you understand that it is easy to understand.

Additionally the component of the B tag system is much the same, it's systematic, but with a different application date, draw etc. etc there are many moving components to Montana.

I'm only at the buying points stage elsewhere so I don't have a whole lot else to go off of, but I will say I love how WY does their bonus only application. It's isolated and pretty concise.

All this said, I think the hardest part about finally putting in for tags is where to put in for if you have a state that is unit by unit. This part I like about Montana, with the general tag I can go to many parts of the state. In other states I am limiting myself to a district and it can be very difficult to put an area down if you've never hunted there before.

I apply for 4-5 states. Occasionally, I don't apply for New Mexico, but I always apply for Arizona (resident), Colorado, Nevada & Utah.

Colorado is by far and away the most confusing for me. New Mexico is probably the simplest, then Utah & Arizona. Nevada is somewhat complicated.

Coming from buying OTC deer tags in the Midwest and East, Colorado blew my mind. It took me two years to even geta handle on it :)

I am the paperwork guy for my group of friends when we do our out of state hunts. Montana is the only state that I've had to call twice over the years to make sure I wasn't making a mistake.

I've lived in Colorado 20+ years now, probably took me a full 5 years of applying before I finally figured out how to fully "use the system" to my advantage. I hunt with a few guys born in Colorado that still don't understand how to use 2nd-3rd choice hunts to bank points when they hunt O.C. units most years.

Colorado hard???

You just go to Wal-mart and buy an elk tag, how hard is that :rolleyes:

Remember when a deer tag was the same way :(

I do NM, AZ, CO, UT, NV & WY without any real problems. Tried Montana a couple of times and just confused me all to hell.

Oh well, it is a long way from here to there, anyways.

Montana gets my vote out of MT, NM, AZ, UT, WY, CO. But it has been a little easier the last couple years even though I had what the F&G guy called a "computer glitch"

MT sucks because of the double draw crap to get a good tag, regs are not very clear either. AK is no picnic as well.

For me applying from Australia, Colorado just sucks! Especially the sheep, goat, moose apps, hence the reason i am just building points for deer and elk in that state. I hate how they keep your tag money for an extended period of time even if you are just gaining points!
The other half dozen or so i apply in aren't too bad, but it has taken many late nights behind the computer screen to figure things out myself!

I didn't vote because I have only ever hunted in Montana, not sure if it is even harder for a non US resident but I found the whole system as clear as mud.
Without the hunters on here and 2 emails to MFWP I would have struggled more than I did.
Its easy to make a mistake as well, but a defense of ignorance of the regs I am certain wouldn't hold up, so in the back of my mind all the time was making an error, and I nearly did.
But it hasn't put me off, I'll be back!
Cheers
Richard

This is like asking which Ms. America contestant is the ugliest.

None of them or all that complicated but I would say Montana is more complicated than the others for me.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back