Most beautiful place to hunt WY antelope?

Goatshoes

Currently I am fortunate to be able to pull an "any antelope" tag each year as a second choice due to some relationships I have in an easy to draw hard to access GMU. This leaves me the opportunity to build points.

The prairie I hunt is beautiful, but I would like to use those points in the future to hunt a more dynamic and beautiful landscape. Something with a few more trees and maybe some breaks like in Steve Rinella's episode "Lobster of the Prairie", or like whats shown in the back drop of MTClacka's post #380 on sticky thread "Antelope...Lets See Them!!!", page 16. I'm guessing both are up in the Buffalo area.

Any recommendations on picturesque places to stalk antelope? I am in it more for the adventure and meat, so opportunities for trophies don't matter much.

We hunt them near Pinedale. Within 20-30 minutes drive from my friends place (family homestead) you go from Sage grouse and antelope to Grizzly bears and Elk.

Having the Wind river range as the backdrop to traditional antelope habitat is something I never tire of.

I loved the scenery on my 2015 antelope hunt around Kaycee. The bighorn's make a beautiful back drop.

Attachments

• antelope 153 (800x600).jpg
    antelope 153 (800x600).jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 657
That sounds really nice Cedahm. Pulling a grouse and antelope on the same visit is a goal of mine.
Beautiful pic 7mm08mo.

Only you can decide what qualifies as a beautiful place to hunt. Some might think that hunting near the Tetons would be the most picturesque hunt in WY. The Tetons are cool, but I wouldn't regret not seeing them ever again. I think the Wind Rivers are superior in every way. Last year I hunted antelope in areas 52 (North Platte River Valley) and 63 (Ferris Mountain foothills/Pathfinder Reservoir). Both were amazingly picturesque hunts. In 52, I harvested a buck in the foothills of the Sierra Madres with a fantastic view of the Snowies across the valley. In 63, I harvested a doe on a cold foggy day. The scenery, multicolored and peppered with mountainous rocks, was otherworldly. I ran into sage grouse on both hunts. This year I'm hunting in Shirley Basin, one of my favorite regions of Wyoming. I personally like varied barren landscapes, and Shirley Basin is just that.

Last edited:
You can pretty much close your eyes and find a gorgeous place to hunt pronghorn in Wyo. The beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Whether you are within view of high mountains or the wide open spaces of the Red Desert, Shirley Basin, or other high desert country the scenery is pretty breath taking.

Back